• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How Big a Boy Are Ya? This Big

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

longcruise

70 Cal.
Reaction score
Free ranging and waiting on public land. Just not giving away the unit# :blah:

Myelk_zpsb0c3c348.jpg

No, was on public but very near the park. he really big bulls were solitary and down low but the bachelor herds were up high. Cows still staying hidden with calfs I think. That was two weeks ago.

I'd like to kill an elk with my .54 flintlock before I die, just one...It wouldn't matter to me if it was a cow or a spike either...

I just love antlers in velvet. I've killed over 150 antlered animals in my lifetime but only one in velvet. I'd like to make it two before I croak.

Greenmtnboy what's your thought, at say 60 yards would you take that shot? At that angle?

Myelk_zpsb0c3c348.jpg

I would be sorely tempted to aim about a rib & 1/2 back of the elbow (really aiming just ahead of the far elbow) But I am trying to adjust from centerfire thinking to muzzle loader thinking. What's your thought on that shot?

As someone who bow hunts more than anything I would love that shot, at 60 I would aim for the opposite shoulder and squeeze!!

I am another one that would aim for the off shoulder and make sure that nothing is behind it. At 60 yards my 460 gr bullet is not stopping in that animal. Ron

Agree, lining up on the offside front leg nearly always assures a double lunger.

the whole shot scenario is excellent with the animal quartering away and head down. Reality with this animal was that it would have required another 60 yards of stalking across open meadow to make it a 60 yard shot!

Well, I would if it wasn't for the house or whatever it is behind him thru the trees...

Doubt if I'll be anywhere near the neighborhood till next year. When the rut starts, they all move around. If this boy is lucky he will move into Rocky mountain nat'l park.

If he stays in national forest, he will have to evade thousands of archery, ML and rifle hunters between Aug 30th and the end of December.

I don't hunt that area, and even if I did, this year is cow license only!

Back