• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How do hobby makers finish the metal?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Browning - LMF browning/degreaser is cheap, easy and controllable. Wipe on, hang the parts in the bathroom and let the shower run on hot for a few minutes to steam things up. Rinse, card and repeat until you get what you want. 4-5 cycles works for me. Best tip - don't sand the metal too fine of a finish or it will take forever to brown. I have found around 180 grit works pretty well.

Blue - Rust blue using LMF browning/degreaser to brown, then immerse parts in boiling hot distilled water. Rinse, card, repeat. This process gives a nice durable blue finish in my experience. Basic method is described here: http://www.hobbygunsmith.com/Archives/Aug03/HowTo.htm. I have only had trouble getting a good rust blue going on a few small parts, but I kept at it.

Last edited by a moderator:
im probabally going to catch flack for the breechloader pic but i did this on an old single shot take it down to bare metal with 400 grit and heat it with a hand held propane torch till its hot not red hot about 10 minutes ought to do then let it set for about a minute for the temp to equalize in the metal and wipe it with a thick rag soaked in clean 10w40 motor oil wait a few minutes and wipe it again then let it cool very simple and looks decent for all it takes to do i did this whole gun in less than a hour heres a befor and after sure wish i had that original stock
12.jpg
[/img]
oil.jpg
[/img]

The "heating to red" hot makes me VERY nervous. Can't say what it has done to the barrel....

do not heat to red hot :doh: im sure this would work on knives as well its the same principal as the fire burned altoid cans so many of us use

new york arms 12 ga also know as crescent arms i think the gun is pre 1920 the barrel is stamped genuine armory steel

I'm allowing the gun for the moment because it is being used to show a method of producing a finish.

We don't discuss cartridge guns on the forum so please stick to the subject of finishes.

Back