• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

how do you guys clean your guns?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Plug the vent hole with a little stick or feather.
Fill barrel with plain WATER.
Let the water set, dump out, repeat once or twice.
Dry the bore with tow or scrap cloth on a worm.
Oil the dried bore (oil on clean tow).

Jack

i bought my 2 tc hawkins .50 cal flintlocks in 1971.i have used BORE BUTTER from that day to now, 35 years using it. not once did i have rust. i put my guns away after jan and dont clean them until july when i start shooting again. i use hot water /soap to clean , dry it and in goes bore butter. i never had any build up.i dont shoot roundballs , only maxi-balls . only problem i had with bb,is in cold it gets hard. i use alcohal wipes then , now bore butter in field but after cleaning, in goes bore butter at home in cold. i cant figure why some are having problems with it, i never did in 35 years. take care

Swampman Said: Don't remove the barrel of a real gun unless you want to ruin it.
Hey Swampman I've seen this statement before. What is the meaning or philosophy behind this.
Thanks

commanche said:
i bought my 2 tc hawkins .50 cal flintlocks in 1971.i have used BORE BUTTER from that day to now, 35 years using it. not once did i have rust. i put my guns away after jan and dont clean them until july when i start shooting again. i use hot water /soap to clean , dry it and in goes bore butter. i never had any build up.i dont shoot roundballs , only maxi-balls . only problem i had with bb,is in cold it gets hard. i use alcohal wipes then , now bore butter in field but after cleaning, in goes bore butter at home in cold. i cant figure why some are having problems with it, i never did in 35 years. take care

IMO, the answer has to be not quite achieving the 100% mark in one or more of the three critical steps in the "process":

1) 100% cleaned
2) 100% bone dried
3) 100% lubed

If those three conditions are achieved & maintained, there can be no rust...period.
You've used it successfully for 35 years, and I've used it for 15 years, others have been using it for decades ever since OxYoke began making it...so clearly there is nothing wrong with bore butter as a lube, as a product.

So if something is not a product problem, then its a user "process" problem.

Latest posts

Back