• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How do you hold?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
How do you hold?

And, and you using a 6 o'clock hold or a dead hold?
IMG_1592.jpeg

How do you hold?

And, and you using a 6 o'clock hold or a dead hold?View attachment 351613
I use "B" when I can but certain shots require different sight pictures. At the bench I use The "B" hold because there is less chance of error. You can't go left or right and up and down it is more or less fixed? On moving targets I use "A" due to less time to dial in. In low light it also works for me, Sometimes? LOL!

All of the above. Depends on the gun*. All part of the fun of learning your firearm.

* Milsurps mostly. I generally don't mess with the sights on a collectible. I just learn which sight picture to use and where to hold it for each gun.

Nevertheless, my preferred sight picture would be "A" with "centered" hold.

I guess "A" level with the top of the rear sight but I don't like those rear sights that angle down. I like a flat rear sight so I can put the front sight level with the top of the rear sight.

I hold centered and adjust what the "center" is based on distance and wind.

This:
1000006096.jpg

Last edited:
I guess "A" level with the top of the rear sight but I don't like those rear sights that angle down. I like a flat rear sight so I can put the front sight level with the top of the rear sight.

I hold centered and adjust what the "center" is based on distance and wind.

This:
View attachment 351648
I hold the same !

The "post" rests in the notch, even across the top, with the post at 6 o'clock on the bull at 50. I try to shoot close at game. For a gong farther out, just put the post a bit higher.

Back