• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How do you tune a set trigger?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hate to be disparaging of the builder of your squirrel rifle, but I would really have some issues.

1. The triggers on your rifle should have been acceptably adjusted when you received your rifle.

2. When you took the rifle back, he should have removed the lock, the trigger guard and the triggers and properly adjusted the triggers.

3. The pin to remove the trigger guard should be removable. Wood may have to be relieved to remove the pin. Is the other end of the pin under the side plate? It doesn't look likely, but it's worth a look.

Remedies:

The trigger guard has to be removed. See if the pin for the trigger guard is under the lock plate. If the pin is not under the side plate, then wood will need to be removed to extract that pin.

I see a lever in the lock mortise that is likely keeping the sear from engaging the full cock notch. The trigger plate must be removed so the triggers can be adjusted in accordance with the Track of the Wolf or L&R instructions. You appear to have the tang bolt threaded into thr trigger plate and a wood screw at the tail end of the trigger plate. No filing until the triggers are acceptably adjusted.

First the big screw holding the large flat spring on the trigger plate can be adjusted to lower the rear trigger lever while retaining driving power for the rear trigger lever.
Second, back the set trigger adjusting screw out to verify the rear trigger can be set. There is a weak spring on the trigger plate for the front trigger to apply pressure for the front trigger to capture the rear trigger.
Third, once the front trigger engages the rear trigger, turn the adjustment screw in until the rear trigger is released. Back the adjustment screw out one turn. If that screw is too short for adjustment of the triggers, buy a longer screw.
Fourth, install the trigger plate so the plate is flush with the wood. Triggers should be unset. Look at the opening in the lock mortise for the sear. Are the levers low enough for the sear to clear the trigger levers? If not the screw on the main spring on the trigger plate will need to be adjusted to lower the rear trigger lever.
Fifth, install the lock to test trigger function. If the trigger function is acceptable, the pin the trigger guard back in the stock.
Sixth, let us know if any of these ramblings was helpful.
Seventh let the builder know that his installation of the lock and triggers was unacceptable.

Is the other end of the pin under the side plate?
No, I checked.

I hate to be disparaging of the builder of your squirrel rifle, but I would really have some issues.
I had never fired a muzzleloader before when I bought this rifle. It's a really beautiful rifle, but I didn't know what to look for when I bought it from a reputable builder.

Subsequently I bought an old, well-used .50 cal that has become my primary rifle. It has needed a lot of work, but at least I can manage all of it's idiosyncrasies myself. I even rebuilt the lock on the .50 cal.

I will pry out that front guard pin on my squirrel rifle. Come hell or high water.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back