• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How do you use Bore Butter?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willpond

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Does anyone wipe down the entire gun with T/C Bore Butter when finished cleaning? If so are there any negative effects on the wood over time? I got a tube of the pine scented stuff for Christmas, and like the smell better than the usual cleaning and oiling supplies. As always thanks for the help!

I used to use to use the regular stuff a long time ago, not the pine scented. Nothing in it thats going to hurt your wood. When I used it, I would wipe the gun down with it and always checked, wiped the bore and outside once a month whether it needed it or not.

I use Young Country 101, a predecessor of your Bore Butter, on all my metal parts when I clean the gun for storing.

I use a standard spray furniture wax- lemon scented- I just looked-- on the stock.

There is nothing in the Bore Butter that will harm the wood or your finish. I just don't want the grease on my stocks. I have a new jar of " Wonderlube", another incarnate of Young Country 101, sitting here in my "stuff" to use when I run out of the YC101. I don't like tubes of anything(too easily ruptured or torn, leaving a huge mess to clean up), so I have never bought the pine scented stuff.

I've got that pine scented stuff as well. I wipe it inside the bore of the barrel and the outside as well. Also, any steel furniture gets a wipe as well. I don't put it on the wood as grease/oil on wood can be a bad combination over time and can lead to wood rot.

"Pine scented"???

You must have some mighty strange pine growing around you.

It smells like methylsalicylate, e.g. oil of wintergreen.

Try munching a wintergreen berry next time you are out in the woods, they are good for headache too as are a tea of the leaves.

Seems like I remember that T/C Bore Butter was offered in a Pine scent or their regular wintergreen scent.

I suppose someone thought if your gun smelled like a pine tree it wouldn't spook the deer who weren't used to smelling wintergreen. :rotf:

Actually, TC has had a pine scented version of their Natural Lube 1000 bore butter for several years now.

To the original question, I've used TCs bore butter since the early 90's as a patch and bore lube...never used it to wipe down the outside of my rifles though but as others have said I don't know why you couldn't...TC's owner's manual even mentions doing it...I've always just kept an old washcloth laying on a piece of plastic on the bench that's damp with gun oil to wipe down my rifles & shotguns since back in the 60's

Well, I learned something about bore butter, pine scent which I've never seen/smelled.

Concerning the wintergreen, it grows all around here so I don't think critters would take exception to it any more than pine.

Mad Professor said:
Well, I learned something about bore butter, pine scent which I've never seen/smelled.
IMO, just another marketing gimmick
Concerning the wintergreen, it grows all around here so I don't think critters would take exception to it any more than pine.
I love the wintergreen smell...and it obviously hasn't bothered deer for the past 18 years that I'm aware of.

Plus, if deer DID smell it how would we know if it bothered them...the same breeze that carried the aroma to them would be carrying your human scent right along with it and they'd be in the next county regardless
:wink:

TCNaturalLube1000picsTCA7409.jpg

I stopped using it several years ago. Used it to coat the out side of my barrel on my long rifles after cleaning while the barrels were still warm. Did a nice job keeping rust off, didn't like the brown stuff it left insde the barrel. Use it if you got it but you will find better stuff out there.SS

I use type F automatic trans. fluid. The type F is parafin based, Just a drop or two on a soft rag over the wood and metal. It shines up real good, This is what TVM recomends. I no longer use bore butter, it DOES leave black gook in the bore.

Simple ... I don't use BB anymore. I found (for my liking) that is barely adequate as a ...

* Protectant - There are much to significantly better products. Like Ballistol all-around or just in the bore and Birchwood Casey's 'Barrier Protect' or 'Sheath' product (same item, new/old names) for externals.

* Lube - It's plain terrible in the ccccold. I was shootin in -1-degree F conditions the other weekend in VT and TOW's mink oil stayed viscous. In fact, I saw no less than 6 rammrods broken using BB in about 2-hours of duty as a range officer at a shooting station.

* Seasoning agent - In fact, I feel that whole premise is hooey! I have also witnessed firsthand that too much BB build-up WILL destroy your groups.

That said, I know many that use it within their context and are happy with it. So the real lesson is ... your mileage may vary. Good luck! And always make it fun :thumbsup: !

Mad Professor said:
"Pine scented"???

You must have some mighty strange pine growing around you.

It smells like methylsalicylate, e.g. oil of wintergreen.

Mad Professor,
They have 2 types, the yellow that smells of wintergreen, and the green that smells like pine....

Place the toast in the left hand, with the butter knife in the right hand.........

Bore butter is pretty good in warm weather for patch or bullet lube. I wouldn't even think about using it to protect the inside of my rifle. When it gets cold outside like it does here in Wisconsin, for prb you need to look for something else.

Flint62Smoothie said:
Simple ... I don't use BB anymore. I found (for my liking) that is barely adequate as a ...

* Protectant - There are much to significantly better products. Like Ballistol all-around or just in the bore and Birchwood Casey's 'Barrier Protect' or 'Sheath' product (same item, new/old names) for externals.

* Lube - It's plain terrible in the ccccold. I was shootin in -1-degree F conditions the other weekend in VT and TOW's mink oil stayed viscous. In fact, I saw no less than 6 rammrods broken using BB in about 2-hours of duty as a range officer at a shooting station.

* Seasoning agent - In fact, I feel that whole premise is hooey! I have also witnessed firsthand that too much BB build-up WILL destroy your groups.

That said, I know many that use it within their context and are happy with it. So the real lesson is ... your mileage may vary. Good luck! And always make it fun :thumbsup: !

i use HOPPES BP on my patchs in winter for hunting,works great.

in summer, i use bore butter patchs

Yes, I too have used that Hoppe's BP Patch stuff, on Roundball's recommendation, and liked it a lot! In fact, I do the opposite of you, I'll use the Hoppe's in very warm weather, as the mink oil gets runny in the extreme Summer heat.

But, in ccccold weather, I want something that isn't going to freeze or harden, and so far, nothing IMHO beats TOW's mink oil. -1F it was the other day, and it loaded easy :thumbsup: !

I make my own felt wads. I use Bore Butter as the lube. I warm it up till it becomes liquid, then pour it in a baggy with the felt wads and swish it around for a period of time, then let it soak in for a bit then remove and let dry.

Back