• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How do you use Bore Butter?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
-----the only use I have for bore butter is letting it in the tube on the store shelf-----

Flint62Smoothie said:
Yes, I too have used that Hoppe's BP Patch stuff, on Roundball's recommendation, and liked it a lot! In fact, I do the opposite of you, I'll use the Hoppe's in very warm weather, as the mink oil gets runny in the extreme Summer heat.

But, in ccccold weather, I want something that isn't going to freeze or harden, and so far, nothing IMHO beats TOW's mink oil. -1F it was the other day, and it loaded easy :thumbsup: !

i have tube of bore butter left,thats why i use it in summer and also the HOPPES is not cheap,so i save it as much as i can for just winter.

after my bore butter is gone i am going to ballistol thing and cut my patchs at muzzle,no more bore butter but still use HOPPES in winter for hunting.

i dont hate bore butter but as you said, its messy in summer and freezes in winter.

i dont like that smell in winter for deer hunting,i am anal about smells in woods.

I have used BB and have tried a substitute "crisco". Not bad and is readily avalable, but it does react to temps differently as maybe would bear grease or some other rendered fats. BUT As with any lube, unless you are storing the weapon or piece for a long time lightly coat the piece and wipe down. check it once a week if not shooting, (shame on you) :nono: and repeat the process as needed.

Now as for the BB smell, I used to play football in HS and it reminded me of a joint ointment aka Atomic Balm...

Grey Hawk

crisco i use too and no smell.

i punch out my own BORE BUTTONS with 9/16 punch for my .50 cal.

i melt crisco and throw the bore buttons in to soak.

only problem is they come out too greasy.

anyone have idea on how to make your bore buttons not so greasy or maybe use something else on them .

Latest posts

Back