• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How Fast Does A Flintlock Fire

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pr.piburn

36 Cal.
Reaction score
This is me 20 years ago shooting my Flintlock.
The video is slowed down a little so as you can
see it better. In actual use it is faster than the
video shows. There is no delay in my rifle.

anigif-5.gif

I can just stare at those devices making fire for a long time! Thanks for creating them.

i have heard it said a properly tuned flint fires as fast as a percussion gun.is this true? I am new to flints and for me its not so at this point.

George

No, a flintlock is measurably slower than a percussion. Percussions run around .0150 to .0200 seconds. The fastest flintlock I timed was an original Manton at .0277 if memory serves. Most flints run between .0350 to .0500 seconds. However, a well managed flintlock (at say .0400) is a joy to shoot.
I think I have a percussion in slow motion among the flintlocks on my web site.
Regards,
Pletch

thanks for your info Pletch.The same internet forum guru also claimed that a flint is as fast as shot cartridge guns!I really enjoy the work you did.

George

damron said:
thanks for your info Pletch.The same internet forum guru also claimed that a flint is as fast as shot cartridge guns!I really enjoy the work you did.

George
There are a lot of "claims" made by people who don't have a clue. Even side hammer percussion guns are not nearly as fast as a bolt action with a striker travel of only 1/4" or less. You can't judge it by ear or by eye but an experienced shooter can tell the difference by feel. You feel the trigger break, you feel the recoil and with experience you can judge the interval between. I can notice the difference between the long hammer fall of a single action revolver versus the shorter, snappier hammer fall of a double action or auto pistol. And the difference does matter, bullseye competitors know that all else being equal you will shoot better with a faster lock time.

Back