• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How Indian flintlocks are made

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For sure, I do agree that there were different levels of quality for different people. My rant comes more from a general frustration of people trying to justify buying Indian not-firearms with arguments about quality "back then". But then again, if we say that these guys are basically producing not-firearms on a backwoods level of western 19th century, then why are some people ready to pay three times the price of a indian produced laptop for these not-firearms...

See shower of sparks video in 'For Sale' of French 1801 Flintlock pistol, components made in India ??

I'm downsizing so recently posted for sale a repro French model 1801 pistol that I build several years ago from a box of
components I acquired in an box. Considering I owned an original of the same to compare with I felt it turned out pretty well.

I've had some negative stating comments from prospective buyers stating it's made in India but none of the parts including the
barrel have any India markings.
I did spend considerable time tuning the locks geometry & springs to get proper function & nice trigger pull
but have done the same lock tuning on any gun I've ever built.

As I mentioned on an earlier post on these India mfg guns, consider them as an inexpensive kit that requires the touch hole drilled & lock requires tuning by someone knowledgeable if your a serious shooter.
If tuning locks is beyond your skills take to someone to do it right for a few extra bucks.
Overall I think they are decent guns at a low price & often models not offered anywhere else.
Just one members opinion.
ThIS PISTOL SOLD RECENTLY :thumb:
Video shows pistol throwing sparks !
Many parts & the barrel were stamped with number
3 to denote what gun they belonged to, were they mfg in India ???
Who cares as where else could you acquire this style of a French military pistol.
If you do purchase a gun made in India consider it as a Kit that requires some experience in
tuning & refinements to work properly.

Attachments

• Sparking French 1801 pistol - Made with Clipchamp.mp4
    12 MB
When deployed to Iraq or Afghanistan these rifle could be bout for 60 dollars American. Problem is all the legal paperwork to get them back stateside the proper way. Wasn't worth it to me.
Far cry from the WW2 de-mobilization, where guys sawed the wood stock of Arisakas & Mausers in half and stuffed 'em in duffel bags.

Interesting! Like getting a kit that's been pre-assembled, with the proviso that it needs to be taken down, and the details dealt with; I like it!
In my senior view, India mfg. guns make excellent learning tools if your somewhat mechanically inclined, enjoy learning, going to stick with muzzleloading & love flinters. :ghostly:

For sure, I do agree that there were different levels of quality for different people. My rant comes more from a general frustration of people trying to justify buying Indian not-firearms with arguments about quality "back then". But then again, if we say that these guys are basically producing not-firearms on a backwoods level of western 19th century, then why are some people ready to pay three times the price of a indian produced laptop for these not-firearms...
What makes them not firearms?

India is one of the counties that doesn't like it's citizens to have firearms.
Without touch hole it's a non-gun.
Being a ‘non gun’ is what allows them to be exported within Indian export laws. In Europe (and indeed India) they cannot be sold without passing government proof tests if the touch hole is drilled. They routinely pass these proof tests. They are functionally very much actual guns. In the USA you are on your own with no independent proofing. As to the finish, as opposed to safety, there is room for improvement no doubt but you get what you pay for.

ThIS PISTOL SOLD RECENTLY :thumb:
Video shows pistol throwing sparks !
Many parts & the barrel were stamped with number
3 to denote what gun they belonged to, were they mfg in India ???
Who cares as where else could you acquire this style of a French military pistol.
If you do purchase a gun made in India consider it as a Kit that requires some experience in
tuning & refinements to work properly.
Nice video, and you're right about considering it a "pre-assembled" kit; it's gonna need some work, but the thousands of them sold over the years speaks well for them, with a bit of tinkering.

I've always enjoyed watching videos of workshops or factories from India, Pakistan etc. There's lots of them making various things on Youtube. For me there is usually always something to learn. So often with manufacturing here in the states we think a job requires the best and most modern equipment, but there it's really distilled down to the basics. I can't help but wonder how little these poor fellas get paid, though.

Back