• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How is flint size determined

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you measure across the width of the jaws or is there another way to figure it out.
Good question, I guess I would say the size of the flint is governed by the width of the frizzen and stroke arc radius of the cock. The frizzen determines the flint width and the cock stroke arc determines length. One mans opinion.

Good suppliers will have both measurements. You can specify a 3/4" x 3/4" or a 3"4 x 7/8" for example.

One of my guns like a 3/4" wide flint but shorter length

For an L&R lock. But don't remember which. I'll get it in hand and compare with photos on their site.

Thanks for the tips 😀

Back