• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

how long do you let them hang?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbassi

36 Cal.
Reaction score
maybe the wrong spot for this, but I had someone give me grief for not butchering a deer I shot last week yet. My opinion is if the weather allows, I'll let them hang for up to 2 weeks to "tenderize" before butchering. I've done it this way for years and no ones ever gotten sick. I was just wondering how others did it.

Absolutly...let em hang as long as weather permits. I usually let my deer hang around a week with the hide on. Some say skin as soon as possible but if you do that the carcass will get a dry crust on it. I've had deer butchered right away and the meat is not as flavorful and not as tender.

Don't listen to those that tell you differently, they don't know what they're talkin about. :youcrazy:

I have to agree with you on this one. If the weather permits and you can keep it away from little critters, let it hang. Most quality butcher shops and high quality restaurants age their beef the same way. If I can't hang it then, I just quarter then “dry age” the venison in the refrigerator about 3-5 days before cooking. It’s tenderer and tastes much better.

I have found that bird hunters are too quick to "clean-n-freeze" with out some sort of aging process. For birds, I dry age them in the fridge at least 5 days. Birds are very tender and don't taste gamy.

AJ/OH

I agrre with the two responses you've gotten so far. Being this far south, the weather rarely cooperates, so what I do is skin the deer, let it hang (if it's cool enough-if not, put it in the ice chest immediately) until all the heat is out of it, then quarter it and put in an ice chest and pack it with ice overnight. The next day, drain all the melted ice and remove the ice and replace it with cold paks. I've kept them this way for almost 3 weeks with no problems. Of course, I have to exchange the cold paks as they thaw for frozen ones, but no problems so far.

I say "git 'er dun". My deer are in the fridge quartered as soon as possible and then the Mrs. takes over. By the way, we put 15 in our freezer this year and you never know when you might get some more.

I shot the first one opening morning. I brought it back across the lake, walked to the house to check it using telecheck. I walked back to it and hung it in a tree and started to skin it. By the time the others came in at noon, I was setting up the grinder to finish him off. The second one hung until the next day. The third hung until we came home that night and I worked it up the next morning. I don't age my deer and I don't cook it rare either the way the fancy cook books say to do. An aged backstrap medallion wrapped in a strip of bacon and served rare may be good eating, but I will pass.

This is one of these Questions that you could ask 100 people and get 100 differant answers.I say whatever works for you don't stop doing it.
What I do if weather and time allows I'd like to hang for a week to 10 days.I seem to get the most tenderest meat that way.However,The last few years it seems like it been warmer and my deer get skinned and processed quicker,sometimes the same day.The result is tough flavorless meat.My opinion....It's got to be aged. :hmm:

The weather rarely cooperates this far south, so I quarter ASAP and then pack the deer in ice for a week to 10 days. I drain the water and replace the ice daily.

CS

The deer taken in our area are about 1 1/2 years old, some may be 2 1/2 years old. They are not old enough to get tuff yet. I skin my soon after I get it home, it is easier when not froze.
If I would get a older deer I would let it hang at least 5 to 6 days if the weather would let me.

TAKE A KID HUNTING AND YOU WILL NOT HAVE TO HUNT FOR YOUR KID. :hatsoff:

When an animal is killed, an enzamatic action starts. Most of you know about rigers mortis, a stiffining of the tissues. After the animal is downed it is called "Green Meat", it has little flavor and tough. When aged at the proper temprature for about 3 to 4 days the enzimes will have changed the meat to what we are used to seeing at the store.

Temprature is a huge consern when hanging your deer for this process to work properly the meat cannot freeze. Freezing will ruin this tranformation. More dry aging can be a benifit as well, many fine steak houses age for many months. Allowing moisture to escape the meat thus concentrating the flavors.

There is alot more to this subject than I can post. I'll not bore you all with the nitty gritty. Some like to age some don't, to each their own.... I like mine aged :bow:

When my current wife and I got together, she didn't like venison. That's because her X had aways taken his deer directly to a processor and she said the meat was always tuff and gamey (sp?) Once I convinced her to try it again she couldn't believe the difference. Now I have to put 3 to 4 in the freezer each year to satisfy the the family appitite. I'm actually proud to say that with only one year as an exception, we have not bought beef in this house for at least 12 years. Sure, I still like a beef steak occasionally when we go out, but side by side there is no comparison for me between the 2.

It might also depend on the age of the deer. Small young of the year as compared to older deer. My wife raises chickens. We brought them to a work farm were they butchered and froze right away. We thawed one for supper and it wasnt good. The second one we thawed, let sit in the fridge for a few days, then cooked it. Much better

I usually don't serve any venison until it will pull apart with a fork, and I don't age anything. I have eaten deer processed both ways at the same table and I prefer the fresh meat. Maybe this has to do with how you cook it. I don't use it as steaks or fry any of it unless I fry some fresh backstrap sliced thin.

The mulies here in southern Idaho, to me taste better the longer they are aged.All meat however tastes better with age IMHO

Here in SE Texas "Hot and windy" is normal in the winter. Since I like aged meat, have to use the ice chests and drain it daily for 7 days. If eating opening day fresh venison use beer bottle or meat hammer to tenderize and fry in bacon grease. :thumbsup:

Hamourkiller said:
Here in SE Texas "Hot and windy" is normal in the winter. Since I like aged meat, have to use the ice chests and drain it daily for 7 days. If eating opening day fresh venison use beer bottle or meat hammer to tenderize and fry in bacon grease. :thumbsup:

Thats a fact ... my cousin uses a coke bottle to tenderize the deer afore fryin up as a chikin fry! Danged good eatin! :bow:

Davy

NWTF Longhunter said:
Absolutly...let em hang as long as weather permits. I usually let my deer hang around a week with the hide on. Some say skin as soon as possible but if you do that the carcass will get a dry crust on it. I've had deer butchered right away and the meat is not as flavorful and not as tender.

Don't listen to those that tell you differently, they don't know what they're talkin about. :youcrazy:

Once again you speak the truth Ron I couldn't agree with you more especially the last part! :rotf:

I let a big old doe hang for 2 weeks once. All my huntin' buddies said you're going to have to cut that thing down and bury it. Look the eyes done dried up and sunk in it's skull! Well now they all hang their's also it was the best venison we ever had.

Let em hang as long as you can keep em cold! One week minimum!

Chuck

Just went through this conversation with a friend of mine last night, and he's under the idea it don't matter with deer. However I tend to believe hanging a deer for at least 3-4 days up to a week is a great idea. As long as weather conditions are with'in a certain temp range.
Luckily a group of us boys got togeather and puchased an old restaraunt walk-in cooler a few years back.
I believe in cleaning your deer good then cooling down the carcass as soon as possible. I also leave the hide on until i'm ready to quarter and cut up. As far as strong tasting meat goes, I believe this can happen because of impropper hanging temperatures (to warm) if this is the case ya ought to clean as soon as possible.
IMO
I make a lot of burger and deer brats out of my deer, steaking out the tenderloins and back loins always for steaks.

After doin a little googleing.. I found a couple good articles that support my idea mostly..

Aging Wild Game - How to butcher

A Guide to Butchering Deer

:thumbsup:

with the bears round here i can't take the chance to hang....what i do as soon as i git it home is git the frige ready with towels on the very bottom fer any blood....git the deer skinned and boned out and put in shopping bags not closed....the hind quarters in one bag, the two shoulders in a bag each, the back straps in a bag and the neck boned out around the spine in it own bag....this way it's like hanging outside in the cool but i don't have to worry bout it outside with the temp or critters....i never had any problem with any kind of off taste or nuttin...........bob

Latest posts

Back