• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How many here shoot Handgonnes?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, can't say that I did. It was made by a gent who does business on Ebay under the id of Sussen. Nice chap, I met him at the Connecticut Ren Faire this season. He spotted his work in the crowd and had to take a look and see what I had done with it. I repainted the interior a blood red and added a leather suspension. :peace:

Claypipe,
Cool handcannon and photos! Any provision for inserting a "pike/halberd", or lance into the bore after firing? Or just bash them with it? Bet lots of fun at some of the growing Renassaince? fairs where they joust and etc.?
:thumbsup:

Claypipe, if you want a shoot & knock weapon, check out[url] Handegonne.com[/url]'s "Vulcan's Blade". It's a .69 caliber handgonne with a 14" halbert blade and a spike above the blade but below the gonne's bore, all on a 5 & 1/2 foot stick! Now that's a great way to open up a way through a crowd!! Talk about "Stand and Deliver!!!!!!! :crackup:

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been tempted to bring it to a couple of faires, but afraid of the possible negative response I might receive. :nono: One of the basic rules of Ren Faires requires weapons to be peace tied/bonded/banded. This means that the weapon, for example, swords, to be tied down in their scabbards so they cannot be drawn, discouraging horseplay and show boating. A sound practice when beer, ale and mead is flowing steadily. :shocking: Its kinda of hard to use a trigger lock on one of these things. :hmm: I suppose I could handcuff myself, but that might excite the ole lady a tad too much. ::

I would like to form a troupe to do demonstrations at Ren faires. I think that the rattle of gonne fire and the thunder of a bombard or cannon would be a thrilling event for all. :m2c:

I don't need a prop to part a crowd. I can do that with a glare. Flaming Ren Faire wouldn't let me in, this season, with my 5 foot meat cleaver, even though its historically correct to carry it across the shoulders without a scabbard. Had to settle for carrying my basket hilted claymore. Don't let the gut fool ya! It came from hard work, not fast food.

Claypipe, if you want a shoot & knock weapon, check out[url] Handegonne.com[/url]'s "Vulcan's Blade". It's a .69 caliber handgonne with a 14" halbert blade and a spike above the blade but below the gonne's bore, all on a 5 & 1/2 foot stick! Now that's a great way to open up a way through a crowd!! Talk about "Stand and Deliver!!!!!!! :crackup:

Last edited by a moderator:
I can see how the PC folks will raise brows but I wager the real fairs would have included demos of any new weponry. A diplomatic talk with the mgt., good positive pre-publicity ie. " Claypipe to Shew his handegonne ". Fair ladies, if so bolde as to attende to avail themselves of smoked glass and mufflers to prevente faints. All steeds must be bridled and hobbled, Boyechildren must be well attended. This handgonne terrifies our enemies with the Lord's owne arrows of fire and brimstone.
Then for non-demo time plug the touch hole or even the entire barrel with wax?

That's why I want to establish a troupe. There's strength in numbers. One person singing praises of a new thing is often considered a loon. Like the time, in the early 1980's, I suggested to my boss we bottle small bottles of water to sell to the public. He thought me mad. "Who'd buyit?!" :rolleyes: :shake: :youcrazy: :nono: :crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

Oh well, if wishes were fishes, all we'd need is potatoes for the chips!

:m2c:

I've been tempted to bring it to a couple of faires, but afraid of the possible negative response I might receive. :nono: One of the basic rules of Ren Faires requires weapons to be peace tied/bonded/banded. This means that the weapon, for example, swords, to be tied down in their scabbards so they cannot be drawn, discouraging horseplay and show boating. A sound practice when beer, ale and mead is flowing steadily. :shocking: Its kinda of hard to use a trigger lock on one of these things. :hmm: I suppose I could handcuff myself, but that might excite the ole lady a tad too much.
I'm sure you can do something with a bore sized ramrod (blaze orange of course) jammed down the bore, and held in with some combo of string and the touch hole pricker jammed into it.
OK, I guess you could still club someone with it, but it should be fairly obvious its not operable :)

I have been pondering on the idea of a friction lock for the barrel, it doubles as a tompion. It would slide in easily, a couple of turns with an allen wrench and its locked in place. Definite project for the frozen months coming.

Just :m2c:

Yup! I have a nice one inch cal. Tarras style pole gun. Scares the devil out of my fellow shooters on the range or at a Faire.
Takes a hell of a toll on my powder allowance though!
I also have a original two inch cal. 1300ish cast iron "thingy" I will post some photos of it :thumbsup:as soon as I can, see what you all can make of it!

Back