• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How many leave sidelock half cocked

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigcountry

32 Cal.
Reaction score
How many leave there sidelock half cocked or all the way cocked while stand hunting say for like 5 hours at a time?

Did your spring ever wear out keeping it cocked.

I hunt in a ground blind a good part of the time,and this year is my first with a muzzleloader.I've hunted two days so far in the blind with the TC renegade on my lap fully cocked.Trouble is,it's a right hand rifle with a TC tang peep sight,and I'm left handed.I can't cock it safely with my left hand.The sight is in the way.And this rifle clicks LOUDLY on cocking.But,on another thread it was mentioned that holding the trigger back while cocking,then releasing the trigger to hold the hammer,is the quiet way.I knew that,but didn't think of it.That's the way I'm going to do it next time out.It's a bad idea to even sit with a cocked rifle with no safety.I get to daydreaming,you see,and even had an accidental discharge a few years ago (no harm done that time).Why risk it? I've ordered an underhammer rifle from Ron Gueldner to use next season.That will eliminate the left hand part of my cocking problem.Well,it will still take two hands to cock the rifle silently,but that is no problem when sitting down.

About the spring wearing out.I've come across many guns that had been left cocked(but unloaded)for many years and still would fire reliably when put to use.Coil springs and flat springs too.The guns I refer to were modern to maybe 70 years old.I don't know how an antique would do.

I keep mine half cocked. I don't think it's safe to sit with a fullcocked rifle, and you can't lower the hammer all the way if you're primed or capped.

JMHO

I leave mine fully cocked while 30 foot up in the tree, excepy for clibing up and down, I'm not giving those meat on a huff any chances. bb75

There's a little brass gismo called a "cap cover" that comes with a nipple that has an O ring. The cap cover fits over the capped nipple sealing any moisture out and allowing you to have your gun on full cock. The cover is attached to your trigger guard by a thong, comes off easily and quietly but won't fall off. Have them on all my percussion hunting guns. Never had any spring problems.

How many leave there sidelock half cocked or all the way cocked while stand hunting say for like 5 hours at a time?

Did your spring ever wear out keeping it cocked.

I sit on stand at full cock, using Hammer Stalls and/or Kap Kovers for safety...never had any spring problems yet

Believe it or not,leaving the rifle cocked for months will not weaken the spring.Cycling the spring is what makes them wear out. No tension or constantly under tension does No harm. I do not use a stand while hunting but I keep my rifle at half cock.

I cock the rifle when I see the target, and not before. Not only do I not sit with a cocked rifle, if I caught a partner doing so, it would be our last trip together. The halfcock notch is there for a reason.

good question there bigcountry
I will wait till I sea game comin my way, then cock it

I never walk with a cocked rifle.

I don't sit with one, either, as the loud "BOOM!" as it goes off when it slides off my knees and hits the ground in my sleep scares the crustaceans off'a me.

Never bring it to full cock until you are about to shoot. I am guilty of, on occasion, cocking the piece at the sound of hoovies tapping through the leaves.

I am guilty of, on occasion, cocking the piece at the sound of hoovies tapping through the leaves.

That's wrong ?? I do that,,,

A 9mm Luger cartridge case and a rubberband can be made to work as a cap cover. Works reasonably well but not PC.

A small string/sinew/thong(not underwear) attached to a 3/4 in. diameter peice of thick elk hide or other soft leather. This device tied to the trigger guard, going outside the hand up to the hammer. The leather is fit between the cap and the hammer. When the hammer is cocked the leather falls away. I learned a long time ago never sit with a cocked firearm of any type and always be wary of "half cock" notches. I've seen them fail. I know, if you know your rifle and inspect it regularly and its in good condition there should never be a problem. How many good rifles will go off when fully cocked if they fall on the ground? Most of them.
In my own defense I've tried hitting the hammer with a hammer and have never had a cap fire with the leather in place. I'd rather be safe. Deer aren't that valuable.

There is no game animal so important that you need to sit there at full cock. I wouldn't mind you falling out of a tree, but you are risking the lives of others out in the field. I've shot a dozen deer with a muzzleloader, and none of them were spooked by me pulling the hammer to full cock. Happy hunting.
mothernatureson

I would opt for the half-cock. Lowering the hammer on a primed nipple is asking for trouble if you drop or bump the gun. A few of the boys in blue were accidentally shot on their way to the First Manassas while marching through brush with their pieces down on the nipple, branches catching the hammer spur just enough to thumb it. Half cock's not a safety, but it seems safer IMHO.

RedFeather

ps - According to some posts, holding the trigger back while cocking can damage the sear. And don't slip!

half cock is the choice for me. sure not going to leave it resting on the cap, and full cock with a light trigger pull is just begging for disaster. especially as often as i sleep in the woods.
:m2c:

I cock the rifle when I see the target, and not before. Not only do I not sit with a cocked rifle, if I caught a partner doing so, it would be our last trip together. The halfcock notch is there for a reason.

:agree: What he said!

Back