• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How many leave sidelock half cocked

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All you have to do is leave the hammer full cocked without the cap on. Then, when you are ready to fire, just put the cap on.

the only time my rifle comes to full cock is if I see a deer and think it might come my way, otherwise it stays on half cock. if I don't get a shot, the gun is put back on half cock. think about it, what if you forget to put it on half cock when you leave? used to work with a guy who would carry his modern shotgun ready to fire, never did go hunting with him. flinch

This has been hinted at in a number of the other replies, but not stated in plain, simple English. The wingnut operating the machine is the most important safety device, bar none, and in the absence of safe gun handling any other "safety" only prolongs the inevitable -- an accidental discharge, and quite possibly much worse.

Regardless of the type of weapon involved, the type of shooting being done, or any other circumstances, safe gun handling ought to be any shooter's first and foremost priority, with any other consideration -- PC, getting a shot at a t-rex-sized buck, winning a match -- so far back in second place as to be irrelevant. If this, that, or the other mechanical device improves your feeling of being safe, great, use it -- but don't make the mistake of substituting that device for proper handling of your gun.

That said, I prefer half-cock for both sitting and moving, with my flinter or caplock.

Back