• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How many leave sidelock half cocked

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You willing to make a little test and tap your hammer resting on that capped nipple with a piece of wood? This isn't like a modern gun with anti-drop safety. That's why cowboys left their Colt Peacemakers on an empty chamber.

RedFeather

The problem is you or your technique. The English built quite a few single shot falling block rifles with back action locks on the opposite side because they considered it to be an advantage to have the hammer on that side.

I have taken that test with a hammer resting on a capped nipple on several of my guns. I can't make them light off. I use RWS caps and my several of my old guns(1830-1850's) have no 1/2 cock and never did.But, I hunt alone as well.

I like to use a spent 22 mag. case over the nipple, a small string tied to the case and the trigger guard and there you have it.

Ridgroader.

Great idea! After reading your post I made one up for my GPR using the neck of a .303 British case. Cut to the correct length it fits perfectly over the entire nipple and mates up well with the hammer.

Similar to yours mine is attached to the trigger guard by a length of shoelace that I sorta spliced. It looks OK although I would have preferred a length of leather lacing.

I take to the field Saturday so this little mod is just in time. BTB I'll bet with hardly any effort I can make the whole thing waterproof to boot.

Cheers!

About that "clicking" noise. Had a doe walk by yesterday at about fifty yards so just to experiemnt a pulled the hammer back from half to full. I use a regular (not set) trigger. Normally I depress the trigger as I pull back the hammer as far as it will go, and then release the trigger, and slowly lower the hammer into the notch- no sound but obviously it takes time. In any event yesterday I just pulled back the hammer and let it click. The wind was up, branches moving around, etc but that doe just about jumped out of its skin when it heard that click. I've had deer coming my way that saw my thumb move as I cocked the hammer. That said, I never sit with a fully cocked gun. Did that about 30 years ago and as I stood up something caught the trigger(coat cuff,etc) and the gun went off. Big hole in the ground about six inches away from my foot. Is any deer worth that???

That said, I never sit with a fully cocked gun. Did that about 30 years ago and as I stood up something caught the trigger(coat cuff,etc) and the gun went off. Big hole in the ground about six inches away from my foot. Is any deer worth that???

FYI...to each their own of course, but just as FYI, safety devices like "Kap Kovers" for caplocks, and "Hammer stalls" for flintlocks are available...have them on all my hunting rifles to prevent accidental discharges just like that example...won't carry a ML in the woods without one

What is is advantage of a cap cover/full cock versus having the weapon on half cock? I assume a cap cover prevents ignition if hammer accidently slips off thumb while cocking and that removal is silent versus cocking hammer. If all this is true, then would you consider the cap cover with the gun on full cock as a safer practice than having the gun on half cock? Can the cap cover accidently fall off?

I keep mine on half cock while sitting on a stand. It is easy enough to bring the hammer silently to full cock at the approach of a buck. Mike

A "Kap Kover" prevents accidental discharges by preventing the hammer from striking the cap, regardless of why the hammer dropped...to include a failure of the half cock notch.

Kap Kovers fit very snug...the whole affair consists of a Hot-Shot nipple with an O-ring groove around it's shoulder, just above where the threads start.

With an O-ring in the groove and the brass 'Kover' pressed down over the entire nipple, it slides past the tight O-ring which seals out moisture, and the tight fit of the nipple and it's O-ring grips the brass Kover so snugly it can't fall off...comes with a rawhide lace tie for the front of the trigger guard, allowing you to just quietly lift it off the nipple and let go of it when you're ready to take a shot.

I can post a photo tonight if you like, or just Google up "Kap Kover" and one of those hits should have a catalog photo.

Greetings All,

I do what many of the oldtimers did. A narrow leather strap is fastened to the trigger guard with the other end placed on top of the capped nipple, and the the hammer lowered on to the leather strap.

Safety is the same reason I used a frizzen cover on my flintlock rifle.

Many original old locks did not have a half-cock.

Best regards and good shooting,

John L. Hinnant

If you are not an NRA Member, why not? I am carrying your load.

Headhunter said:
I always keep mine at half cock. Finish it out just before I shoot.

Headhunter

I do too, having it at full cock seems dangerous to this old scarecrow...

All it takes is for the trigger to get snagged on a branch or a twig and it's going off, Musketpappy taught us never to fully cock the gun until we're ready to shoot...

Even with hammer stalls and cap covers, the action (hammer) will still move if the trigger is hit, these items will prevent the gun from firing, but it will still make unwanted noise...

"I keep mine half cocked. I don't think it's safe to sit with a fullcocked rifle, and you can't lower the hammer all the way if you're primed or capped."

:nono:

I agree, your gonna get yourself hurt! Filntlocks are safer than them new fangled guns.

Musketman said:
I do too, having it at full cock seems dangerous to this old scarecrow...All it takes is for the trigger to get snagged on a branch or a twig and it's going off, Musketpappy taught us never to fully cock the gun until we're ready to shoot...

Just so we understand, there are several variables to this which can influence approaches:

The first is that we've all heard/read that the half cock notch should never be considered a safety for documented reasons...they are known to have failed in that role.

And we know there's enough spring tension from that position to fire a ML...so sitting with a ML on half cock is not an absolute safety or safeguard at all.

For me, I hunt alone and when sitting still on a ground or tree stand, I move the hammer to full cock, with a thick, snug fitting leather 'hammer stall' on the frizzen;

A flintlock at full cock with a proper hammer stall on the frizzen as a safety is no more dangerous than sitting on stand with a cocked Remington 700 with it's safety on.

In fact, at least I can see at a glance that the Flintlock's thick leather 'safety' device is always covering the frizzen and absolutely serving it's role as a safety...but I can't see the internals of most modern rifles to know the actual condition of the safety mechanism...and we've all read documented accounts of where they've failed occasionally with bad results.
In fact, Remington replaced the complete trigger/safety assemblies on both of my model 700's for that very reason.

Summary:
IMO, I don't think people should be lulled into a false sense of security thinking a Flintlock on half cock without a hammer stall, is safer than a Flintlock on full cock with a hammer stall because that's actually not the case.

Also IMO, I don't think we should assume a cocked & safetied Flintlock is any more dangerous than sitting with a cocked & safetied modern centerfire rifle.

:v

That's fine, but hammer stalls aren't historically correct. I hate them and flash guards too.

Doesn't matter if hammer stalls are not "HC"...this thread is not about that...hate what you will.
:v

Swampman said:
That's fine, but hammer stalls aren't historically correct. I hate them and flash guards too.

The term ”˜frizzen cover’ is also an anachronism. Both Simes and Cuthbertson talk of ”˜hammer stalls,’ being used as a safety device, but there is no mention of frizzens or frizzen covers in either text. The hammer can also be referred to as a ”˜steel,’ but should never be called a frizzen.

:hmm:

Al

2 Steps said:
Swampman said:

The term ”˜frizzen cover’ is also an anachronism. Both Simes and Cuthbertson talk of ”˜hammer stalls,’ being used as a safety device, but there is no mention of frizzens or frizzen covers in either text. The hammer can also be referred to as a ”˜steel,’ but should never be called a frizzen.

:hmm:

Al

Exactly...I too have read that the terms 'frizzen' and 'frizzen cover' are a relatively modern evolution.

What we call the frizzen today actually used to be called the hammer...hence the name "hammer stall" for the leather safety that slid down over it.
:thumbsup:

Back