• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How many of you do this?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep Deer heart and liver are excellent.

I even make a pretty decent pate' for crackers and oysters from the liver.

:thumbsup:

Personally, I cringe every time I hear someone use the words "sport" and "hunt" in the same sentence. Calling it a sport cheapens what you are doing. I hunt to provide meat for my family and take my place in nature. Is there a thrill involved in the hunt? Of course there is, no matter if it's a squirrel or a moose, there is a quickening of the blood.

It reminds me of a co-worker(female, who was interested in me, what woman wouldn't be) 13 years ago who in the process of small talk asked what I enjoyed doing on my day off. I said, "I like to hunt and fish." She replied, "a sportsman, huh?" I told her I was an outdoorsman. I did not consider killing game and fish a sport but as a connection to my true self, a tie to ancient man and it's in my blood. Must have impressed her as we have been married for that long.

dc,
I was surfing the web today to find a place to buy elk steaks when I ran across a piece I read many years ago called "Why We Hunt". This piece still says it better than any other I've seen. When I read it, I thought of your recent post. You may want to show it to some of those anti-hunting folks you know, especially if you decide to take up the hunt. Take a look.
Finnwolf

http://canoecreekranch.com/whyhunt.htm

finn
that link pretty much hits it on the head,it was a fantastic read .
thanks for shareing :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

dc,
I was surfing the web today to find a place to buy elk steaks when I ran across a piece I read many years ago called "Why We Hunt". This piece still says it better than any other I've seen. When I read it, I thought of your recent post. You may want to show it to some of those anti-hunting folks you know, especially if you decide to take up the hunt. Take a look.
Finnwolf

http://canoecreekranch.com/whyhunt.htm

That's downright excellent. I love the quote from Thoreau, too.

"Go fish and hunt far and wide day by day -- farther and wider -- and rest thee by many brooks and hearth-sides without misgiving. Remember thy Creator in the days of thy youth. Rise free from care before the dawn, and seek adventures. Let the noon find thee by other lakes, and the night overtake thee everywhere at home. There are no larger fields than these, no worthier games than may here be played..."

Henry David Thoreau

I think Hank nailed it.

There is a deep bond, a blood tie, with all the game and fish that a true outdoorsperson(PC term) feels. Those who do not hunt are confused by it. Those that oppose hunting refuse to see it. Yes, I am glad when Jezabel connects on a fat whitetail or when my Spanish made 20 Gauge double barrel connects on a flushing grouse. Or when the walleye or panfishing trips yield a bountiful catch. I celebrate the kills. Their death reminds me that I am alive and part of the hoop of life. I do not regret the kill as the same way a wolf does not regret killing a moose. I have simply taken my place in nature. It is how the Great Creator made us. It is a gift given to me from Mother Earth. Thankfully, I live in an area that is grouse and deer heaven and there are people who accept hunting, even if they chose not to do it themselves

Noah Mercy:

Nope. I dress the deer, clean the liver and build a fire. Nothing like fresh venison liver cooked over a camp fire with a little salt and pepper washed down with spring water and perhaps a little

From a fishing point of view, we always put the first fish of the season back alive and well as a thanks. Anything we kill gets treated with respect and eaten with a prayer. The animals fish we have caught and killed for the table have received much more in respect than anything which came frozen from the supermarket or meat shop.

Or something like it...

When I shoot an animal, I always say a little prayer of thanks before I start butchering. I spend some time with the carcass and contemplate the circle of life and make a point of appreciating the animal's beauty. I also feel a certain sadness at the passing of its life and a sense of loss, but also gratification that it will, in a way, continue to live in me.

I know many Indian tribes have a history of giving thanks when they make a kill, but I'm not trying to emulate them; it's just that my Grandfather taught me that all life is precious and not to be taken lightly. I'm also a Christian who believes in the Biblical idea that men are stewards of the land and the animals and have a responsibility to treat them well. It just feels right to accord the taking of a life a moment of respect.

I ask here because I was recently talking to a fellow about this and he opined I was a "wuss" and shouldn't hunt if I feel this way. I told him that I feel he should be the one to put up his guns if he doesn't appreciate the animals he hunts. I value the opinions of the forum members here and would appreciate your unvarnished feedback. Am I just a girlie-hunter, or do some of you other hairy-chested he-types feel the same? :thumbsup:

I am a very large man and I have lots of hair on my chest and I think you are right on point on what you said! I don't quite perform all the rituals that you do, but I do have a 'moment of silence' in respect for the animal I just harvisted. I also believe when you have respect for the animal you are hunting you will become a better and more sucessful hunter!
:front:

Or something like it...

When I shoot an animal, I always say a little prayer of thanks before I start butchering. I spend some time with the carcass and contemplate the circle of life and make a point of appreciating the animal's beauty. I also feel a certain sadness at the passing of its life and a sense of loss, but also gratification that it will, in a way, continue to live in me.

I know many Indian tribes have a history of giving thanks when they make a kill, but I'm not trying to emulate them; it's just that my Grandfather taught me that all life is precious and not to be taken lightly. I'm also a Christian who believes in the Biblical idea that men are stewards of the land and the animals and have a responsibility to treat them well. It just feels right to accord the taking of a life a moment of respect.

I ask here because I was recently talking to a fellow about this and he opined I was a "wuss" and shouldn't hunt if I feel this way. I told him that I feel he should be the one to put up his guns if he doesn't appreciate the animals he hunts. I value the opinions of the forum members here and would appreciate your unvarnished feedback. Am I just a girlie-hunter, or do some of you other hairy-chested he-types feel the same? :thumbsup:

Noah, you're not a wuss. Would be honored to have you in my hunting camp. I feel the same way :front:

I have taken hundreds of animals for food in my 62 yrs of hunting, and I have felt sorry for every one of them and even teared up over them many times. I seldem shoot any more, but I continue to hunt a lot every year---passing up many nice shots (taking my rifle for a brisk walk). I can't explain it even to my self-----but to me there is a certain reverance to hunting and the taking of the life of a game animal. A non hunter would not understand. This may be the best topic of any I have read in this forum. :agree: :thanks:

Hmm....when this topic was first posted I recall replying to it...but I forgot what I said. While I do believe in honoring the animal...that is not wasting it but trying to use all of it..hides..etc. I do not say any prayers or such over it. Nor do I have any sadness. But then I come from a different generation than some of the younger folks on here. Lets face it...we are all part of the food chain...not feeling sorry for what you kill in no way denegrates one as a hunter. This is not to say I condone carelessness or irresponsibility. Mankind is a predator...like it or not. A wolf feels no guilt or pain in what it kills...neither do I.

Thank you Lord for giving me a chance!
I always smoke my pipe after the harvest, before i get into the gut cleaning, and always put small branch of pine or beech wood in the mouth of the elk/ deer.
Goo d people we have here, real hunters.
I like this topic a lot and am happy to find group of real hunters to read their experiences.
God bless!

I am of native american descent and i was alway taught to respect the animal that you kill by allowing him to live on in the food that feeds you and your family. I have had the chance over the years to take quite a few nice deers but cannot remember a time when any of one was wasted. Ihave alway honored the animals i have harvested myself by burying the heart of the animal on the spot where it last beat, i also put a few drops of blood in my mouth and swallow it. The latter of the two igot from my father who told me it allow you to have a deeper connection with the animal who has given his life so that yours may continue. I am new to this post aswell but i now know that i have found ethical bunch of individuals. thank you all for your knowledge and replies.

Well, Noah, if you're a girlie-hunter, I reckon' that I am, too. I thank my Maker after every harvest (and I often read the New Testament in the tree-stand) because that's the way that I was raised. I'm 6'4", 315 lbs., I'm a bearded, pot-bellied biker, a hunter, and most importantly, a Christian. If folks want to think that I'm a sissy for thanking the Lord for His many blessings, so be it.

Those who honor God and the blessings he has given to us are the real men. Taking a deer is very personal thing it should be enjoyed the way you choose to do so.

I also honor the Lord first for the kill and the game next for the food, but I have a question of my own.

I deer hunted for years before I ever killed a deer, I always figured that I would be excited, happy, have an adrennelin rush. When I shot my first deer I sat where I was for a few minutes thinking about how I now had to drag the deer out clean and process it. No elation whatsoever anyone else had similar experiences?

yup i have....when i arrowed this guy the excitment was out the roof....till i remembered what comes next....and this boy was 205 pounds dressed and 200 yards back to the car :results: ................bob

219301.jpg

Back