• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How many of you fine folk make it out to Dixon's?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George F.

40 Cal.
Reaction score
HOW MANY OF YOU FINE FOLK MAKE IT OUT TO DIXON'S GUNMAKERS FAIR THE LAST WEEKEND IN JULY?....If you aren't to far away from Allentown Pa. and you are interested in improving you knowledge on the American Long Rifle please reward yourself from a long year of hard labor and dedication to your employer by indulging yourself with this well worthwile weekend. You'll be introduced to some of the finer points of gunmaking from some of our country's Eastern great and sharing gunmakers. And I go every year since 1992 and I'd be HONORED to meet some of you fine folk. I'm just a partime gunmaking Joe like 'you all'.......George F.

There's a lot of folks on this board who go to it. Just wait til the summer gets here.

I'm with you, It's worth every drop of gas and second of time invested.
Craig

Been going for years n actually working for Bob Winters(gunflintknapper) at his table the last five or six. You betya it is a great event. well worth the trip. YMHS Birdman

I drove from St. Louis, all the way to Dixon's and it was worth every mile. I learned more from that three days of seminars than I learned on my own in the last ten years. I have read a lot of books on gunmaking and related topics, and some of the information shared at the seminars is not in any book, or video that I am aware of.

J.D.

Where else can you go and spend the whole day and not see all the neat stuff they have there? It's a lesson, that's for sure.
And you get to meet some of the forum guys.

I was there this year, it was great :hatsoff:
I live close by, not much of a drive for me :blah:
Lehigh...

After 20 or so years of intending to attend I went for the first time last year. It was beyond my expectations. You see a lot of fine longrifles, quality vendors, excellent gunbuilding seminars and beautiful Pa. scenery.

One year I went, I think it was 1995, the judging table disply was loaded with some very fine rifles. One of the judges commented on he hadn't seen the competition so intense before. If you make three or four mistakes, you're out of the running for a place ribbon. When all the judging is all done the weed out the guns without alot of merit and display all the rifles with their awarded ribbons. It's an impressive sight. Some of these mistakes are so small to a novice eyes but not these judges. If they didn't deduct for it, it was because you had already had enough points deducted and they let it slide. They really know their bussiness......................George F.

:grin: I am quite happy to say that I have only missed one at Dixon's in the last 15 years. I missed the Bluegrass Band at the store this year---but the confusion and crowds were unbelievable this year on Saturday. This is the first time I parked in the "next county" since I have been going. Bought a lot of little parts and stuff---no major purchases this year. In 2004 I went home with a .40 cal. flint Tenessee Po' Boy from TVM---this year I was looking for a flint pistol and TVM had both sold. I was happy to hook up with Tip's---always enjoyable. :hatsoff:

I went with Olie and the Leprechaun last year, it was the first time for all of us. Picked up some good raw horns.

I was very impressed with the judging tables, I hope to make a gun that I could put on one of those tables someday.......just to see how I do.

Like Lehigh, I live pretty close to Dixon's being from Reading here in Berks Co. If I don't get up there at least once every couple of months, I begin to suffer nervous twitches, and of course, the Gunmaker's Fair is a must every year with last year's Fair one of the best ever in my opinion. You owe it to yourself to go if you haven't been before. And, of course, the Cabela's in Hamburg is only a few miles away if you still have a few bucks left. :thumbsup:

I got a laugh out of the remark "You get nervous twitches" Withdrawl no doubt. Greg does all my engraving ( which isn't alot) but I really enjoy going there...even just to say hello, Although its a bussiness and I'm sure they would prefer you make a purchase(which I do after driving 160 miles each way).I just think its a great noble event they have created for the benefit of us who are interseted in our nations struggling beginings.

Never have been but I plan to make it this year.
I own a Germanic gun that won best in show back in the 90's.

I have been out of the muzzleloading loop for a number of years but the excitement for Dixon's is already beginning to build.

We need to "hook up". I moved from the area of Allentown, PA back in October. I miss Dixon's already. Like 1776Patriot said, I would go there sometimes just to "hang out" with Chuck and get pointers. I'm starting to feel those withdrawal pains. Sure wish there was someplace like that around here. :(

Anyway, like others have said on this post, if you haven't been, you don't know what you're missing. It's definitely worth the trip.

Oh, and as far as informational books go, Chuck Dixon's book on gun building (The Art of Building the Pennsylvania Longrifle)is a "must-own" (in my humble opinion of course). So, it's :hatsoff: to Dixon's

I had heard of dixons about 5 yrs ago finally got there it was well worth it I'm planning on going this year and spend some more time at some of the seminars .

I would certainly like to meet some of you fine folk that make it out to the gunmakers fair. I go there every year but never bring enough $$$$, although some will take plastic debit or credit but if you don't have it well that's a shame. I would like the confidence to be more forward with some of the vendors there but I fear they scoff at being hounded by soooo many pilgrims trying to pick their brains and talent. And are to be commended for their selfless time they devote to the education of others in want of their knowledge. ...I'm off the soap box. .....George F.
P.S. I do't know what happened, some of it got scrubbed I had to go back and fill in the blanks.

I will be there as allways wandering around. I expect to have a gun or two ready to enter as well. BJH

Wouldn't miss it. Been going for seven years now and have volunteered for the last four years as watchdog at the accoutrements display/contest table. The Dixons have done so much (at their cost) to promote our sport that I feel compelled to give a little back. Plus, Chuck feeds his helpers very well!! See you in July.

Back