• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

how many professional builders here?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AgesofDays

40 Cal.
Reaction score
how many of you build rifles for a living that visit here often? cause after doing research i have come to the conclusion that i am not a builder . [that`s a period for all you french people] so it`s time to start talking

Sure am glad to hear that you never missed your "period"....I am by far not a professional builder. I have built several...and sold quite a few through the years, but I would never undertake to build something under any kind of agreement. I like to build something and play with it for a while...then sell it and build another. That way I am not comitted to a time schedule or a specific style and am free to wander where the particulat piece leads me. I am not that good at carving or engraving...probably average on wood or metal work. I do understand the principles of what make a rifle tick and how to get the most out of it for acuracy or lock time. Sounds to me like you have struck a problem or two that have you discouraged. Tell us where you are having problems...maybe we can help you over the hump and get you to create a one-of-a-kind that you will be happy to pass on down through the family...It may not be a masterpiece, but you will change your mind some about it when you make meat with it or have a good day at the range.

I build them to sell, but it is not my primary source of income, and much like TwoShadows, I build what suits me, for the most part. I can make concessions and usually work things out to where the customer and I both are happy. There are certain styles that I will not do. My main income is from making knives, but gun making gives me a diversion, so that I don't get bored doing the same thing all the time.

Can't say that I am a professional either, but I am an amateur in the purely Latin sense. In Latin a professional only does something for the money - i.e. mercenary. An amateur is one that does something for the love of it. I consider myself a gunsmith (diagnoses and repairs guns others have built) and a semi talented gunstocker. I don't call myself a gunbuilder since I have yet to build a lock or barrel from a chunk of iron. :)

I wonder about your research that made you decide that you are not a gun builder. Was it a bad kit, or a goofed up inlet? Or do you really want a fancy carved and engraved gold encrusted shooter?

I build them because I like to build them. It is not my livelyhood, it is a pasionate hobby for me. I also make skinning & utility knives in between the rifles & sell a few of them also.

But to me this is a hobby & I want to keep it that way. I make it perfectly clear to the customer that I may take a month, two month or 3 months to build his rifle, according to how I feel & how detailed the work is. If I am doing delicate carving or something like that, & I don't feel like doing it or my nerves or mood is not good, I don't touch it & I work on somethng basic or a knife or whatever. Also I tell them right up front that I will give them all the details they want, photos, updates, etc. but don't push me to get it done. It will be done when it is done & it has to satisfy me. Many times I have put 30-40 hours in just a hand rubbed finish & if that is what the customer ordered & it takes what it takes.

I don't clock my work or build a rifle on a Per Hour basis as I know it would be real disappointing for me. I like doing it, I do it almost every night (my wife says ! ha ha !) and it is a very satisfying to me when I see the finished product. I hope my customers enjoy my goods as much as I enjoy building them..

Custom Muzzleloaders & Custom Skinning Knives

A.O.D.
I think I have built 12 so far. One of those was a rebuild from number one. One was a Jim Chambers 'kit', it is too good to be called such and it merely means that they got all the correct parts together for me. One other one had a precarved stock to start from. I haven't counted the 2 TC kits and some other kits. I also restocked an original '63 springfield for a Bible college professor while there. I didn't count that in the twelve. Several guns were for customers. Most I built because I just had to have one of that style and then later sold it. I had broken even once on the total guns built, but that was a while back. I have a few more I would like to build. I don't feel the need to sell the ones that have been surpassed as much any more. I could end up with a whole rack of one of a kind reproductions.

God bless. volatpluvia.
Leon

Beedee6 - I have to say, from what I have heard 2 to 3 months would be pretty fast for anything fancy. Seems like TVM, Pecatonica or any of the other stockers/suppy houses take up to a year to get the rifle out the door.

maxiball is very fortunate to have for his own some of your stuff! Very nice from what I have seen.

Regards, sse

C_L - You are obviously one of those guys who takes the craft to a higher level, making almost all of your own components. Why don't you put up yer URL and we can have a look at some of your work??!!

Regards, sse

Professional? Not me.
As with the others, I put them together as a hobby.
I have no customers except me so I only have to please myself.
I have been asked many times by many different people to build a Pennsylvania Rifle for them. My answer up to now has been "when I retire, and have nothing else to do, I may get into building for people, but I haven't retired yet." I know me, and if I were building for a customer, I would drive myself to meet a schedule, if not my customers, then my own.
I would also consider myself obligated to making it his/her way.
That would take a lot of the fun out of doing it.

Not counting the CVAs, TCs, and a number of commercial pistol kits I've put together or restocked, I am working on my 13th now. Of the 13, I have sold 2, (my first rifle and the matching pistol (both flint)). I believe the only reason it sold was I reduced my price to a rediculous price to get some money for a (close your eyes and jump ahead you squemish folks) Uberty .45-70 High Wall.

I have found that finding photos of a gun I really like, researching it and it's maker (when known) and then actually making a similar gun with my own little artistic features (all PC) is a very satisfying experiance.

All of the hardware that goes into my guns is only the best, made in the USA parts.
I admire those who make their own hardware, but I don't have the equipment to do this. I also figure that by buying only the best, if I ever sell a gun, I know the buyer is getting his moneys worth.

C_L - You are obviously one of those guys who takes the craft to a higher level, making almost all of your own components. Why don't you put up yer URL and we can have a look at some of your work??!!

Regards, sse

Here are pic

Those are beauts. I wish I could get the thumbnails to work so's I could get better look at 'em.

Thanks, sse.

P.S. I see your standards in wood figure are very high!

I consider myself a builder, I complete maybe 2 a year mostly for local folks who come and ask for a complete firearm or repairs on locks or other maters.
I build because I enjoy it. I enjoy the look on a persons face when they take one of my guns, no mater smooth bore or rifle and smack a clanger with the first round. Even field work on locks is fun when you can take an old abused flint lock that is slower then a turtle and speed her up a few notches just to here the fellow say wooooooooo much better. It

C. J.- Very nice rifles and very nice photos. Didn't know you could do a slide show like that. Never saw a 13 knuckle hinge before, fine job on that. Most I know of is 11 by Jacob Wigle of Westmoreland County, 1811-1844. I built a copy of one of his rifles, found in a cave burial with a mixed blood Indian boy out here in the 1920's. I build what interests me, about 25 so far, usually on order. Not a professional, can't be many full time builders. Have a friend here who has built 355 plus ML firearms and still has a full time job for a living.

Herb,
Thanks for the complements.
I used the rifle by "F.KLETTE" as influence while building this rifle. The original "KLETTE" rifle has 15 knuckles on the patch box. The "F.KLETTE" rifle is pictured in volume 2 of Shumways Rifles of Colonial America. rifle #123

Thanks again

Nice artwork CJ.
Have you ever entered anything at Dixon's gunmaker's fair?
Any chance that you will be at Dixon's this year? I am just getting started on my first piece. So when I see your photos or go to Dixon's I normally need a drool towel :D
Keep up the good work. Zman

Zman,
I did enter a rifle about 15 years ago.
Yes, I will be at the fair this year. My father and I have been putting on the barrel welding demonstration there for the last 20+ Years. Seeing as that you are not that far from me, if you need any help with your first piece feel free to drop me a line.

Back