• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How many use a .50cal for elk?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There in is a rub
In the old days you might not be able to replace lead for some time( up to a year) many times low power shots were used in the hope that the ball could be recovered from the animal. Waste nought want nought
We want a kick clean kill, but an hour to die and a few mile track was not a problem for early American hunters

Have you ever been close to mature bull elk, dead or alive? They are not just big deer.
I have never even seen an Elk except at the lodge I joined and most of them are old and fragile like myself. It wouldn't take much to knock me off. I think the little cal. crowd are talking about these type of Elk? LOL!
Just joking!

I
Was wondering how many of you use a .50cal for hunting elk, and the type/size bullet you use?
Have never used anything but a .50 cal for elk. I live in the high country in Colorado, have hunted with a muzzle loader since I was 16 (I'm now 64), am a purist (I'm a rare bird nowadays), so I've hunted with a flintlock Tennessee Mountain Rifle for the last 40 years, and have always shot round ball. If hit low chest right behind the shoulder (boiler room) elk will take maybe a step or two, or maybe just stand there for a couple seconds, then fold up. You shouldn't try to take them at over 100 yards though, and I try to get closer. I call them in. Sometimes as close as 20 yards. .50 cal has always been my friend.

[/
It was 18 below the evening this one was taken, he was in the cooler before the frost was off him. Your right if the weather is anywhere above freezing you better be move your butt.Or they will bone sour. We don't skin them out only if we have to,you'll lose a lot of meat due to drying out. The same with quartering them up.
If it's cool I've always left the hide on until butchering. Yeah it's harder to skin but much easier to butcher without having to skin twice! Saves time and meat. I'm a conical guy for hunting season.

Last edited:
Listening to your conversation we don’t have elk in uk. But they do have big stuff in South Africa and thats what my Reilly 1853 cape rifle was made for and no doubt be great for your elk and bear any day. It’s got an almost 12 bore for shot and two grove rifling for a .6” ball patched or not or for a winged bullet actually .622” fir the .6” ball or whatever is in your bag

I made some .6 winged balls they don’t look
Big to me only thing is the double weighs over 11 pound so you will need a horse to carry it unless you are a big strong boy , going over the mountains for elk or bear forget a double it’s just too heavy but it’s still my first choice so much crazy power ha ha Love from UK

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    123.4 KB
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    143.4 KB
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51 KB
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66.5 KB
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    43.7 KB
Listening to your conversation we don’t have elk in uk. But they do have big stuff in South Africa and thats what my Reilly 1853 cape rifle was made for and no doubt be great for your elk and bear any day. It’s got an almost 12 bore for shot and two grove rifling for a .6” ball patched or not or for a winged bullet actually .622” fir the .6” ball or whatever is in your bag

I made some .6 winged balls they don’t look
Big to me only thing is the double weighs over 11 pound so you will need a horse to carry it unless you are a big strong boy , going over the mountains for elk or bear forget a double it’s just too heavy but it’s still my first choice so much crazy power ha ha Love from UK
I have a soft spot for double guns. Very nice 👌.

I

Have never used anything but a .50 cal for elk. I live in the high country in Colorado, have hunted with a muzzle loader since I was 16 (I'm now 64), am a purist (I'm a rare bird nowadays), so I've hunted with a flintlock Tennessee Mountain Rifle for the last 40 years, and have always shot round ball. If hit low chest right behind the shoulder (boiler room) elk will take maybe a step or two, or maybe just stand there for a couple seconds, then fold up. You shouldn't try to take them at over 100 yards though, and I try to get closer. I call them in. Sometimes as close as 20 yards. .50 cal has always been my friend.
Our ML season is late well past the rut. I am jealous.

Thanks to all those that have replied so far, this is some good incite to what most are using for elk.

"I would think shot placement is a big factor." This is my number one rule with ANY weapon on ANY biggame animal.

I have a T/C Hawken .50 cal I'm looking to hunt elk with (have only hunted deer with it), currently in Colorado one can not use PRB with a .50cal for elk/moose (just seen that in the regs. but can use PRB with a .54cal) so I will be using either my T/C maxi balls (295gr-345gr) or my Hornady Great Plains bullets-385gr.

But! I just may have to get me a new .54 cal! I just hate having to stock up on a bunch of different bullets/RB, LOL!

Have you ever been close to mature bull elk, dead or alive? They are not just big deer.
Yes! Being a Colorado native I have killed many bull elk, mostly bowhunting, so I'm very experienced at how tough they are. Even hit with a modern bullet they can go a long ways. Have to admire and respect the power of the animals spirit.

It was 18 below the evening this one was taken, he was in the cooler before the frost was off him. Your right if the weather is anywhere above freezing you better be move your butt.Or they will bone sour. We don't skin them out only if we have to,you'll lose a lot of meat due to drying out. The same with quartering them up.
My X killed one down on Eagle Creek when it was that cold. We did load that one and haul home whole. When we tried to get it out of the truck bed, it was froze down. I hooked a log chain to the elk and another pickup, and tried pulling it out. The truck just slid on the snow and ice, and the elk stayed put. I had to get a spud bar, and wedge the hair lose to get it unloaded.

My X killed one down on Eagle Creek when it was that cold. We did load that one and haul home whole. When we tried to get it out of the truck bed, it was froze down. I hooked a log chain to the elk and another pickup, and tried pulling it out. The truck just slid on the snow and ice, and the elk stayed put. I had to get a spud bar, and wedge the hair lose to get it unloaded.
Had one freeze down on me but not that bad ! Yikes!:eek:

No once they freeze good luck. You have to thaw then out to work on them and your hands hurt trying to just break them down into working parts. Dang cold to say the least. We had 4 yoats freeze in the bed of the truck, had to find a warm garage to get them out we wanted the hides.:oops::oops::oops::oops::oops:

When hunting bigger more massive muscle and bone consult the writings
and habits of the Buffalo hunters. Large bull Bison are a force to recon with.
Elk no different. Think conicals in the 450-550 gr ranges. 100 gr plus charges.
Sharps style for longer ranges. Definitely 50 Cal plus. Big thing about Elk is
the stalk and getting in a 100 to 150 yard range. Getting up in age now. I do
not do pack-in myself unless a guide is involved. Have lately turned down
invites due to not going to my place in NM due to craziness at border. From
NM I am much closer to Elk Country in Colo/Wyoming than in Fla. Killing the
Wapiti might be the easy part--Skinning, quartering and packing out is the
real work. Consider sharing the costs so that you can afford some help. It ads
up to better memories, in my experience, to pony up for a professional guide.
(NM has a few draw Elk licenses, few and expensive, guide/outfitters have better
access it seems)

Last edited:
Back