• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How many use a .50cal for elk?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When hunting bigger more massive muscle and bone consult the writings
and habits of the Buffalo hunters. Large bull Bison are a force to recon with.
Elk no different. Think conicals in the 450-550 gr ranges. 100 gr plus charges.
Sharps style for longer ranges. Definitely 50 Cal plus. Big thing about Elk is
the stalk and getting in a 100 to 150 yard range. Getting up in age now. I do
not do pack-in myself unless a guide is involved. Have lately turned down
invites due to not going to my place in NM due to craziness at border. From
NM I am much closer to Elk Country in Colo/Wyoming than in Fla. Killing the
Wapiti might be the easy part--Skinning, quartering and packing out is the
real work. Consider sharing the costs so that you can afford some help. It ads
up to better memories, in my experience, to pony up for a professional guide.
(NM has a few draw Elk licenses, few and expensive, guide/outfitters have better
access it seems)
You are so right the funs over once they on the ground, the more hands you have the better it is for all.

I have never shot an Elk, but the older retired gentleman I bought my TC Hawken .50 from used it to hunt only elk. He used the 385 grain Hornady Great Plains Bullet. Took game numerous times.
Now I own it and I only use PRB and only hunt white tail, but I know those 385 grain bullets he gave me with the rifle will do the job if I had to shoot an elk. (that is if I was willing to shoot them heavy conicals....I feel abused when I shoot them.)
I would think that a bullet out of a .50 is adequate but not a ball. There is a big difference between the two.

I have killed 23 head of elk. Big bulls smaller bulls, cows, and a calf.
I have shot them with bows, rifles and muzzleloaders.
Elk can be incredibly tough. I have tracked elk for miles, and I've dropped them in their tracks.
When I'm hunting them with muzzleloaders I use my 50 cal Hot Rod Renegade. It has a fast twist barrel.
I use a paper patched Lee 500S&W bullet. They are 458 grains.these bullets are slightly hardened to between 6 and 7 BHN.
Most factory bullets are poor quality. I shot the 50 cal Hornady 410 gr bullet for several years. I shot only deer with them. While the Hornady is an accurate bullet they are so soft that they over expand. In my opinion that over expansion reduces penetration.
For a factory bullet I would use No Excuse bullets. I have tested them and they shot well in my guns, but itvhas a fast twist.
I have heard good things about Bull Shop bullets but no experience with them.
My last bull I knew I was close to private land. I knew I had to try to anchor the bull. That is a tall order for a muzzleloader. I have yanked the rug on elk many times with a shoulder shot angling back into the lungs, or hitting the spine. Knowing anatomy of elk is important to making good hits.
I held for a high shoulder shot. At the hit the bulls legs jerked up and he was on the ground.
I recommend going for both lungs to guys with little or no experience shooting elk. Hitting a shoulder with a factory bullet or ball is a mistake.

Attachments

• 13943.jpeg
    13943.jpeg
    298.2 KB
  • 20200901_194632.jpg
    20200901_194632.jpg
    210 KB
  • 20201010_201928.jpg
    20201010_201928.jpg
    53.9 KB
  • 20201010_201905.jpg
    20201010_201905.jpg
    162.8 KB
My 577-500 no 2 double unmentionable Lets go a 440g bullet behind 140 g of black powder around 2800 ft lbs ok for any North American game and all Indian game. Not for thick skinned game of Africa though certainly bangs my shoulder

Elk can be incredibly tough. I have tracked elk for miles, and I've dropped them in their tracks.
When I'm hunting them with muzzleloaders I use my 50 cal Hot Rod Renegade. It has a fast twist barrel.
I use a paper patched Lee 500S&W bullet. They are 458 grains.these bullets are slightly hardened to between 6 and 7 BHN.
Most factory bullets are poor quality. I shot the 50 cal Hornady 410 gr bullet for several years. I shot only deer with them. While the Hornady is an accurate bullet they are so soft that they over expand. In my opinion that over expansion reduces penetration.
For a factory bullet I would use No Excuse bullets. I have tested them and they shot well in my guns, but itvhas a fast twist.
My last bull I knew I was close to private land. I knew I had to try to anchor the bull. That is a tall order for a muzzleloader. I have yanked the rug on elk many times with a shoulder shot angling back into the lungs, or hitting the spine. Knowing anatomy of elk is important to making good hits.
I held for a high shoulder shot. At the hit the bulls legs jerked up and he was on the ground.
I recommend going for both lungs to guys with little or no experience shooting elk. Hitting a shoulder with a factory bullet or ball is a mistake.
I really appreciate your input. I read all your post and as critical as I am at time I have never read anthing that I thought was iffy that you have posted. People would be wise to listen to you.
I have never shot much big game but when I bow hunted I always prefered a shot that took out lungs and diaphram. I hated to see a animal run off as if he wasn't even hit. If a long bow is used you better get as close as you can to your animal and place your shot well. Been there done that!

Ha ha unmentionables 450/400. 400 g Dangerous game bullets probably out of a cape buff 2125 ft/sec. Around 4200 ft lbs of muzzle energy Plus I have two barrels which makes 8400 ft lbs if you let both barrels go together at a charging bear or elk

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    117.9 KB
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.6 KB
It was 18 below the evening this one was taken, he was in the cooler before the frost was off him. Your right if the weather is anywhere above freezing you better be moving your butt.Or they will bone sour. We don't skin them out only if we have to,you'll lose a lot of meat due to drying out. The same with quartering them up.
I learned that my first hunting season in MT.

What is your twist of rate on your Renegade? I'm definitely looking into the Lee S&W 500. The mushroomed one on the scale, was that taken from an animal you killed or just from target? that's some great weight retention from a shot bullet.

What is your twist of rate on your Renegade? I'm definitely looking into the Lee S&W 500. The mushroomed one on the scale, was that taken from an animal you killed or just from target? that's some great weight retention from a shot bullet.

That bullet was taken out of the off side shoulder of that bull. My rate of twist is 1-28.

Back