• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How many?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Russianblood

45 Cal.
Reaction score
How many shooting/possible bags do you have? I have a complete one for every rifle I own. When I find the time to go shooting, I don't have to swap stuff around. That is a guaranteed way to forget something important.

I am BAD, I use a fishing tackle box. wal-mart issue, big enought for all my stuff. powder, ball, patches, lube. misc tools etc... sorry. I know it isn't PC

oldarmy said:
I am BAD, I use a fishing tackle box. wal-mart issue, big enought for all my stuff. powder, ball, patches, lube. misc tools etc... sorry. I know it isn't PC
I have the same thing.A tan and green Plano tackle-possibles box. :haha:

I have at least 7or8 32 to 54, have made most of them, you can't have to many bags, just like the guns, more is always better. Dilly-DO-Nothing

I use a yellow Wally world tool box for my pistols and a gray Wally world tool box for my rifle. I was getting too much stuff for one box.

Each box contains everything I need (balls, patches, cleaning patches, powder, measure, nipple wrench, etc.)

I have never yet brought the wrong combination of box and gun to the range.

I bought some leather and have been meaning to whip up a bag or two, but they would only be for woods use, at the range I bring it all.

A buddy has seperate bags for each caliber, and everything (ball bag, loading block, etc) has a matching design (matches within caliber) , so he doesn't mix calibers of bag or accessory.

Russianblood said:
Do you "tackle boxers" only shoot at a range? How do you carry your gear in the field?
I use it at the range and have a belt pouch for my gear.I should have mentioned that,ooops.I only have the one pouch for four guns.You make a good point of having a bag for each rifle. :grin:

Every gun has it's own hunting bag loaded up and ready to hunt. I do use that and a fishing tackle box plus a range rod at the range.

I have one for each rifle. Even then I forget to restock stuff I'm gonna need.

I just went through mine tonight, had the wrong size flints in 2 of them.

I have one that gets shared between the rifles. In the market for a second one that will serve the smoothbore and its unique shooting supplies.

I admit to being sort of a belt-and-suspenders sort of guy. Not only do I have a pouch for each of my guns, but carry spare stuff to the range in a .50 cal. tin OD green ammo box, too.

Cruzatte

I have a small hunting pouch by Speedy Hogarth, a Carolina banded horn by Mike Small, and one of these

portable%20tool%20box.jpg

for the range. When 5-6 different calibers, balls, patches, lunch.... heck I need it.

the dread wechlo said:
Wally world tackle boxers are deluded. All your gear should be with the rifle.
All my gear is with my rifle, I keep my Wally world tackle boxes stacked right next to the gun safe.

If I had to live off the land or use my BP guns to fend off bad guys I would simplify and keep a small bag right next to the gun. But for me this is just a hobby. My hoby isn't even living history/ reenacting/ rondevousing, I just like to shoot historical arms.

I think the idea of living in the woods with a rifle and a shooter's bag is great, but I don't have time. When I go to the range (1/2 hour drive) I do not want to forget anything (been there). So with my current system I know that the yellow box = "muzzleloading pistol" and the red and gray box = "muzzleloading rifle" and I do not leave home without the correct box (at least I haven't so far).

My Ruger GP100 is the gun I would pick up if I was in a hurry to shoot something and it has all six accesories in the handy on-board storage container.

Slowpoke said:
I have a small hunting pouch by Speedy Hogarth, a Carolina banded horn by Mike Small, and one of these

portable%20tool%20box.jpg

for the range. When 5-6 different calibers, balls, patches, lunch.... heck I need it.

:rotf: :rotf: You are fun!! :rotf:

I have four. Three October Country bags that I've have for 25-30 years. The other one was donated by a mule deer that wasn't as alert as he should have been.

I primarily use the large October Country. I also pack around a plastic tool box with different balls, patching, tools, extra flints, caps, staple gun ect.. I generally grab a bag with the right balls and patches for the rifle I'm shooting out of the tool box and put them in the bag and I'm ready to go.

I have three. One is the original from over 30 years ago, and started out in life as my daughter's high school shoulder bag..took it apart and reversed it. It has been my percussion bag. A second was built from scratch about 8 years ago when I got my first flinter...the third was finished a month or so ago, to go with a new horn to replace my percussion bag, but I can't bring my self to do it...Hank

I have three shoulder bags, two belt bags and one split pouch. LOL. These represent a progression in my personas/interests. I use all of them in one way or another. My earliest bag is little used, being a "mountain man" type. My second bag is a Golden Age style but not quite "PC", so I use it for hunting. My third bag is strictly PC and I use it for my 18th cent English impression. The belt pouches are used for quick loading at the target line and as "wallets" at rondies/trade fairs. The split pouch is my newest and is used in my 1740s French persona.

Back