• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How many?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like to hunt with a small bag, but when I goto the range I like to carry all my gear. Two weeks ago at a match a buddy broke a main spring. I had a extra and installed it for him and he only missed one relay.

I have 16 ML long guns and 5 ML pistols so I must have 21+ bags cause I have one for each gun and a couple of extras. Made all of them. I also have a large wooden box for extra stuff when I go to a several days long rondevoux. I load from the pouch and never shoot without my bag, horn, bullet
pouch, etc on my body.

I have 3
one old one which I threw together because it fit my idea of what they would have used in the "old days".
I've seen a lot more original bags since then and made a replacement for use with my flintlock out of some heavier saddle type leather which looks and feels much nicer. I just need to get it worn in, still looks too new :grin:

Since getting the missing parts replaced for the hand me down Hawken, I decided to take that old Fess Parker looking shooting bag out of retirement, I made another horn (best one yet!)
only for pyrodex and intend to use that setup for the Hawken.

I also have kept my supplies in an old army surplus shoulder bag......more PC for WW2 or Korea, but it certainly counts as a shooting bag :blah:

Russianblood said:
How many shooting/possible bags do you have?

I have one, and I almost didn't keep that when Mrs. Musketman said I was wearing a purse... (she was just jealous) :grin:

One per rifle and a belt bag for my pistol. Oh, and 5 or 6 in various stages of construction for the trade blanket this season.

One. But after reading all these posts I'll be out shoppin! I like the bag per gun idea. I keep all my BP stuff in one big black plastic box {not as bit as Slowpoke's} I always had three 50 cal's now I recentll added a 45 so I have to branch out

Musketman said:
I have one, and I almost didn't keep that when Mrs. Musketman said I was wearing a purse... :grin:

Yeah, I know that deal. Showed the wife a pic of one I was thinking of buying. She just shook her head and said "I've never paid anywhere near that much for a purse." She got a two for one on that one.

I like the bag per gun idea, and will probably get there someday. Just gotta draw the line on guns so the bags can catch up!

"I like the bag per gun idea, and will probably get there someday. Just gotta draw the line on guns so the bags can catch up!"

I was getting a bag for every gun too, but as you say those bags got too expensive! Had to draw the line somewhere! Somewhere else, that is... :)

CS

I have a bag and horn, complete with all tools and SHORT STARTER AND PRIMING HORN (take note Swampman :blah: ) for each of my 7 ML rifles. I also have a plastic tool box for trips to the range for sight in work, that has patches, balls, lube, tools, etc. All practice I do is done while loading from the bag and horn, even if it is done at the range after sighting in using the box.

I have but one and that is all I feel I will ever need. I pack as I would my ALICE Pack. I plan my hunt or treck and pack accordingly. I then double and triple check what I have in my bag. No problems encountered to date! :)

MM;
When I finished mine I oiled it set it in the oven, then hung it on the cuboard to set and cool.
I'm watchin TV in the other room when the wife came home and said "Nice, thanks!" Not payin much nevermind, I said sure (whatever).
20 min. later she comes in the living room with all her girly stuff in my possibles bag,,, complaining I'd forgotten the pocket for her cell phone!!!!! :cursing: :cursing: :cursing:
And that's a true story. :shocked2:

riarcher said:
20 min. later she comes in the living room with all her girly stuff in my possibles bag,,, complaining I'd forgotten the pocket for her cell phone!!!!! :cursing: :cursing: :cursing:
And that's a true story. :shocked2:

Agggh, your possibles bag has cooties...

Quick, get some iodine, get some disinfectant, call 911... :shocked2: :rotf:

I've two, one that I made, that I've decided the flap is too short on, and will probably be taking apart to use the leather in other projects, and another that I picked up off the trade blanket at a rendezvous. It's not so buckskin fancy either, but it does the job.
I've never quite understood how folks shoot from the box. I learned to shoot from the bag and horn, and any other fashion just seems, well, clumsy. Doesn't matter much I guess, it's just personal preference. Part of the true enjoyment I get from this hobby is the routine of measure, pour, patch, ball, ram, prime, aim, fire, swab. I find it soothing, that routine that I have practiced so much, trying to load faster, be more precise with my charge, keep the ball centered on the patch, ect. Once you get everything just so in the pouch, the horn lies just there below the ribs, the measure is always the same place, it becomes habit to load from the pouch. With practice, one can do it in the dark, with one's eyes closed, whatever. The only thing is I NEVER ever speak while loading. Ever. Keeps the routine the same and prevents dryballing and short powder charges.

Brokenlaig said:
I've two, one that I made, that I've decided the flap is too short on, and will probably be taking apart to use the leather in other projects, and another that I picked up off the trade blanket at a rendezvous. It's not so buckskin fancy either, but it does the job.
I've never quite understood how folks shoot from the box. I learned to shoot from the bag and horn, and any other fashion just seems, well, clumsy. Doesn't matter much I guess, it's just personal preference. Part of the true enjoyment I get from this hobby is the routine of measure, pour, patch, ball, ram, prime, aim, fire, swab. I find it soothing, that routine that I have practiced so much, trying to load faster, be more precise with my charge, keep the ball centered on the patch, ect. Once you get everything just so in the pouch, the horn lies just there below the ribs, the measure is always the same place, it becomes habit to load from the pouch. With practice, one can do it in the dark, with one's eyes closed, whatever. The only thing is I NEVER ever speak while loading. Ever. Keeps the routine the same and prevents dryballing and short powder charges.
Thats some good advice.I have just been shooting from my box.I need to practice shooting from my pouch.Dont want to be fumbling around trying to get a second shot when I'm hunting. :thumbsup:

Good advice. Mums the word while loading. I shoot with a bunch of kids who softly speak the mantra "powder patch and ball or you'll have no shot at all"

I have two (2)primary bags one for a rifle and one for a shotgun. These are equipped with gear for in the Field hunting primarily and junked up only with extras if attending a “Load Out Of the Bag Only Shoot.” When a competition shoot allows I have a tool box. Two drawer with a lid that has a third storage area. Box contains just about everything necessary for maintenance of a ML (Rifle/Shotgun/Revolver/Pistol). Various sized cappers, various Slotted screw drivers (or turn screws if your that way), small brass hammer and brass drift rod, main spring vise, small 6 inch crescent adjustable wrench, back-up Military surplus cleaning rod (Sectioned / 50 and 30 cal)), Balls, boxed Caps (Various Sizes), Flints, Front Sight inserts, Masking Tape, bullet blower (when some one needs help getting a ball out of the bore), various cleaning Rod attachments (Jags/Worms/Slots/Scrapper), stuck ramrod puller, cut patches, cleaning patches, Wipes, rag for wiping hands or grease, small ring note book and pencil - - - JUST TO NAME A FEW. Box goes with me 90% of the time. It may stay in the car/truck while I’m hunting off in the field, but that way the hunting trip doesn’t have to Come to an desparing end caused by a !@#$&*! problem that can be fixed. I have two more bags that hang on various walls in the house for looks, ”¦ but may contain balls or needed items for a specific gun. These are used to empty one of my field bags and keep the stuff together when changing from one gun to another. Yep! blows the KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) theory but after 45 years of shooting that’s they way I have migrated.

I'm like some of these guys. When I go to the range 30 miles away, I've agraid of not bringing somethig. I've got a wooden foot locker that I put all of my black powder shooting stuff in. It's got everything in one place. Power, bullets, spotting scope, tools, cleaning gear and pistols all in one box.

Back