• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How much ammo do you carry hunting?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert Egler

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Just curious, how much ammo (as in number of rb or other projectiles) do people carry when hunting?

I usually carry about 30 roundballs when I hunt with my flintlock. I've never even shot 10 in a one-day hunt, so I'm not really sure why I carry 30, except that they fit in the bullet pouch. :hmm:

You must be talking small game.

I just hunt deer and generally besides the one in the gun, I carry two or three "speedloaders". Here, I usually am armed with three tags for any given season so it not uncommon to put more than one animal down in the same day.

For large game I carry six PRB in a loading block plus one in the tube.

For snowshoe hare (32 or 36 cal) I carry two loading blocks of six each, one in the tube, plus a small bag of twenty RBs.

Haven't ever used up both blocks of six. Dang it all, anyway.

ÃŽ carry 5 PRB in my bullet board and 5 charges bp in speed loaders. That is more than enough.

Regards

Kirrmeister

ball block with 4 ready to go and a ball bag with bout 25 in it or .50 :v ...............bob

I primarily hunt deer or wild hogs with a loaded rifle and a second load; cap, powder and projectile on a doe skin necklace.

Osage

For Deer it's one in the tube and 3 more rb in a block with the same number of pre-measured charges.I only ever shot more than once per kill in a good number of years of hunting.

For deer, one loading board of six and maybe 20 in the bag just for balance. :haha:

For Deer,
one in the pipe and about 5 speed loaders. I also carry a powder flask and a 35mm film container with RB's in my hunting bag. Don't really need that much now, more of a hold over from I hunted remote National Forest areas.

I carry 4 speedloaders plus the one in the rifle. I have a small powder flask, 15 or so roundballs extra caps and patching in my daypack for reserve. I always reload immediately after shooting with one of the speedloaders and rarely have had to take a second shot.
Idaho PRB

For small game I carry a ball board with 10 .32 PRB in it. 10 squirells is a days limit, so I go out hoping for the best.
For deer it's one in the barell and 3 speed loaders in the bag. I don't think I need any more than this, I like to travel light.

For my .54, I have a loading block with 5 patched balls and I carry 5 small tubes with premeasured powder and a round piece of leather which holds 12 caps.

My bullet block holds six prbs. I load my rifle from that when arriving in the hunt area.

I usually carry my full "kit", which is the fixins for at least 40 shots. Last year I took a few "liberating" hunts out the back door carrying just the rifle, license, belt-knife and powderhorn with a three-shot ball block that I keep on the horn strap. And the clothes on my back, of course (gets cold hereabouts in deer season). Usually I have enough with me to set up light housekeeping and stay in the woods in relative comfort for a week or so. I usually carry the same gear to a trail walk, a squirrel hunt, a deer hunt or a weekend overnight forage hike (less the blanket roll and ground canvas of an overnighter, I admit).

When muzzleloading I like the equipment and use it for hunting rather than choose the hunting equipment, if you see the difference.

Knock wood, I've never had to fire more than twice on a day of whitetail hunting.

I usually carry 10 RB's, Never neeed that many. Just like to have them. Don't know why. Security thing I guess. Dilly

Deer hunting I carry one in my barrel and one or two in my 4 hole loading block. After reading this thread I think I'll put 4 in the loading block and maybe 5 or so in my small ball bag..just in case. Cause you really do never know when you might need them some extra shots. I ran out of bullets once on an 8pt and had to tie my 6" Old Timer knife to a long sapplin to finish it off. I was a long ways from a road and it was opening day with other hunters in the woods. The buck was just broke down in the back end and could still move pretty good. I'd had one deer stole from me before after I shot it with bow...so had no choice but to finish him then instead of going for more bullets and hoping I could find him or no one would get him before I got back. Plus it was the right thing to do and not let it suffer. Anyway wasn't fun and don't want to run out again.

I usually have a load in the pipe and two speedloaders on me. Keep the rest in the truck just in case I have a good day.

I usually load out of the bag and carry 10 balls and patch. BUT I do also carry 4 to 6 speedloaders just in case there are Blackfeet about.

Headhunter

Back