• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How much do my balls weigh?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is a nice and handy chart @longcruise. I am sure that many will benefit from it.

Naturally because of my engineering background, I had to do the calculations for my own chart of weights of round ball a long time ago. I did not try to include the added weight of a sprue. I used the density of lead from an old chemistry and physics handbook. For all engineering and muzzleloading needs, my calculations agree with the values in the chart. Having my own calculations built into a spreadsheet means that I can calculate the weight of any diameter ball. So, while I calculate that a 0.526 ball will weigh 218.855 and the above chart lists a 0.525 ball that weighs 217.248 grains, the practical difference for our load developments is not worth discussing differences as sprues can easily fall into the allowable tolerances.

Latest posts

Back