• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

how often should i clean

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoyter

32 Cal.
Reaction score
i just bought my first non-inline muzzleloader. It is a cap-lock traditions deerhunter. when it arrives I plan to take it first to the range and then deer hunting shortly after. I will be shooting speer .50 cal .490" lead balls with a pre-lubricated patch.

When at the range how often should I be cleaning the rifle? Is once after my range time enough or should I be cleaning after a certain number of shots?

When hunting, if I shoot one time in a day should i be cleaning that night?

How long can I wait after shooting to clean the rifle?

Is the clean rifle likely to shoot different than a rifle that has had a few rounds put through the barrel?

Thank you very much for any input.

Some guns and some shooters swab between shots, every few shots and some can go an entire session, it all depends on the gun and shooter preference.

Some things to consider:

Cleaning/swabbing between shots will reduce overall fouling at the end of the day making final clean up easier. Swabbing between shots makes loading easier and often improves accuracy in many guns.

I seldom leave the range without completely cleaning my gun or at least pre-cleaning it
And it should be cleaned as soon as you get home, burnt black powder is highly corrosive and time is your enemy.

Hi and congratulations on the new gun. As Clyde said range cleaning is different in EVERY gun. My 45 caliber I can shoot it all 5 rounds on most relays with out a cleaning . Then I usually run a patch with a water wet patch and then a few dry ones when the relays is over before next one starts. With my 62 caliber smoothbore I can shoot all day with a spit patch then a dry one now and then. I do a semi clean before leaving the range, then clean as if going to go to storage for a while when I get home. If I shoot and miss while hunting (happens now and then) I will do a through cleaning. Start the next day fresh cleanded gun as it may be a day or so before I git back out.
This works for me may or may not work for you.
Good luck and your new gun.
Ken

When colorado clyde uses the term "swab" it gives the impression that a big wet patch is used and it is run up and down the bore several times.

That is a good way to ruin your day of shooting.

The excess water will dampen the breech area and mess up the new powder you pour in when you reload.

If you run the "swab" up and down the bore like you were pumping water from a well, it will knock off and dampen the fouling and it will end up shoving it into the breech, plugging the flame channel that connects the nipple with the bore.

Put another way, after doing that your next load probably won't fire when you pull the trigger.

That said, the proper way to "swab" the bore is to dampen one clean cleaning patch. (Not a shooting patch)(Dampen means slightly wet but not dripping wet).

Place it on the muzzle and using a cleaning jag (brass or aluminum grooved attachment for the cleaning/ramrod) run it down the bore in one slow stroke. Then leave it resting at the breech plug. This will dampen the fouling on the wall of the bore.

After about 10-15 seconds, pull the jag and patch back out of the bore in one smooth stroke. DO NOT run the jag/patch up and down the bore.

After the now dirty damp patch is removed you can run a clean cleaning patch down the bore and back out to dry the barrel wall.

I have found this only necessary to do after loading 3-5 shots. If it seems to be getting difficult to ram the patched ball down the bore, I swab the bore after that shot.

I've found this necessary only when I'm shooting real black powder.
The synthetic powders seem to foul the bore slightly on the first shot but the fouling from Pyrodex at least, doesn't seem to get worse.

Shooting Pyrodex, I've shot all day without swabbing even once.

Now, if your into precision target shooting you may want to swab the bore after each shot.
Personally, I shoot just for my own amusement so 1/4 inch accuracy isn't real high on my list of things to do at the shooting range.

If your worried about that 1/4 inch, you will want to swab more than I do. :)

I use only TC 1000+ products in me flinter.
It gets totally cleaned once a year, in Sept, when Im done with rondy season.

I wipe the bore and flintlock down after every use, but only take it apart and clean it all once a year.

We have shoot three people when their guns failed (oil and BP dont mix) 25 stations, 75 balls, never a miss. Those two guys now use only TC 1000+ products

During an actual shooting session at the range, everybody kind of develops their own routine. Some want to swab after each shot, some after 5-6, some may go longer. Your individual rifle and the load that you use will dictate this. You will know when you need to swab because it will get very hard to load when you have a dirty bore. As to how your gun will shoot clean vs. dirty, again, this is something you will have to experiment with.

Now.....when your done. My rule of thumb is never let the sun go down on a dirty bore. When I get done shooting for the day, I give my guns a very thorough cleaning. It doesn't take long at all for the residue from blackpowder and blackpowder subs to start rusting and if neglected for very long, even a day, can cause serious damage. Don't be negligent in cleaning that gun from top to bottom when you get done shooting. Don't believe the hype about the blackpowder subs, you must clean the guns thoroughly even when using the substitutes.

Welcome to the fold and I know you're gonna have a blast. Lots of good information on this forum.

Jeff

Johnny Tremain said:
We have shoot three people when their guns failed

Them there are some HARSH range rules :shocked2: But if ya had to shoot um when there guns failed, :idunno: I guess ya had to. :wink:

I guess 2 lived & 1 went under, cuz they started out as "three people" and ended with
Johnny Tremain said:
Those two guys now use only TC 1000+ products

It's sad that other poor soul didn't pull through but ya sure learned them other two.

:v I've written at 5:24 AM my own self...just pulling your chain a bit. :grin:

To put it as succinctly as possible, cleaning your muzzleloader after shooting it can be compared to using toilet paper after a visit to the porceline throne......you do it right away, every time after you finish. If you are trying to develop an accurate load for your rifle, you need to swab your bore after every shot with a slightly damp patch. This keeps your bore exactly the same from shot to shot. A buildup of fouling in your bore will change it and result in a change in your POI. When you swab at the range, just run the patch to the breach and straight back out with no pumping. Just in and out. I like to use a mixture of 1 part Ballistol to 10 parts water for wiping my bore between load development shots. Just lightly moisten your patch and run it in to the breach and out in one smooth motion. If you put too much water or cleaning solution on your patch, you can form a gob of gooy crud in your breach. This won't happen if the patch is just moistened.

Exactly how fast fouling will build up in your bore will depend a lot on what powder you are using and what lube you are using. If you are using 2f black powder, it will foul more than will 3f. I don't ever use any of the substitutes so I cannot tell you about their fouling properties. Contrary to what many peole will tell you, you can use 3f in any rifle up to a .62 caliber. The old wive's tail about using 3f up to a .50 caliber and 2f for anything from .50 and larger is just that, an old wive's tail. 3f will burn cleaner and if you are shooting a flintlock, 3f will work just fine in the pan and you can leave your priming horn at home. One less thing to have to mess with.

I have found that if one absolutely has to wait for a day to clean their fired rifle, you can usually get away with it without doing any real damage to your bore. There will be some rust that will form over night but it will not be enough to start pitting your bore. It will be mostly surface rust and a good scrubbing will get it out. This kind of occasion usually occurs when hunting and you have no opportunity to clean your rifle the evening of your hunt. If your gun is not loaded, you can, at least, run a few patches with water on them down the bore followed by a few dry patches. Follow that with an oil patch and you will be good. It is your gun's equivalent of what we humans call a "whore's bath". If it is loaded, just run an oil wiping patch down the bore to remove as much of the fouling that is in the bore ahead of the load. Not too much oil, just a lightly oiled patch will do.

If you are just plinking at a range or shooting hickory nuts off trees for practice, just wipe your bore when it starts getting hard to seat your ball. If I am shooting in a woods walk, I like to use straight Ballistol on my patches. Just damp, not dripping. With 3f for my charge and straight Ballistol on my patches, I have been able to shoot a whole woods walk of over 25 targets without having to stop and swab out my bore. This kind of shooting is different from load development and you can get away with not wiping between every shot. but, if you are trying to develop an accurate load for your rifle, it is imparative that you wipe between every shot.

Sean Gadhar said:
Johnny Tremain said:
We have shoot three people when their guns failed

Them there are some HARSH range rules :shocked2: But if ya had to shoot um when there guns failed, :idunno: I guess ya had to. :wink:

I guess 2 lived & 1 went under, cuz they started out as "three people" and ended with
Johnny Tremain said:
Those two guys now use only TC 1000+ products

It's sad that other poor soul didn't pull through but ya sure learned them other two.

:v I've written at 5:24 AM my own self...just pulling your chain a bit. :grin:
Too Funny -- I thought the same thing when I read his post :shocked2: :rotf: :rotf: !

colorado clyde said:
Some guns and some shooters swab between shots, every few shots and some can go an entire session, it all depends on the gun and shooter preference.

Some things to consider:

Cleaning/swabbing between shots will reduce overall fouling at the end of the day making final clean up easier. Swabbing between shots makes loading easier and often improves accuracy in many guns.

I seldom leave the range without completely cleaning my gun or at least pre-cleaning it
And it should be cleaned as soon as you get home, burnt black powder is highly corrosive and time is your enemy.

I really have more fun picking on CC than agreeing with him. :wink:
But, on this I can't add much.
I am a 'swab between every shot' advocate.
And, by "swab" I mean a damp not dripping wet flannel patch cloth. I use cottom baby blanket flannel purchased from Wally World and cut up by myself.

Only thing I would add is that when I shoot I have a small bottle of 91% rubbing alcohol on hand. I use just enough to get my oversize bore mop slightly damp and I also swab between every shot.
The alcohol dissolves the crud as good as water and evaporates rapidly in the hot bore. No wet powder for me thank you!

As already said, clean the guns immediately. Do not put it off as time is the enemy here.

I generally clean mine as soon as I get home. If It isn't practical I leave my gun out so I will get to it that day. It's to easy to forget about it if you put it away and get busy doing something else.

cleaning your muzzleloader after shooting it can be compared to using toilet paper after a visit to the porceline throne......you do it right away, every time after you finish.

Great analogy! they should stamp that on the side of barrels.

I like to use the alcohol patch in competition as well.
Bore swabbing , even if done incorrectly does not seem to bother underhammer guns I have noticed.
I sure have come to love my H&A for reliability of firing. If the cap and powder is good it will fire without fail. Mike D.

M.D. said:
I like to use the alcohol patch in competition as well.
Bore swabbing , even if done incorrectly does not seem to bother underhammer guns I have noticed.
I sure have come to love my H&A for reliability of firing. If the cap and powder is good it will fire without fail. Mike D.
You are not helping me in not buying an underhammer rifle...
:grin:

I didn't used to like them though until I remedied the nipple wash burning my support arm.
With a proper back fire divert-er one can shoot in short sleeves without difficulty.
zz,Mike D.

Back