• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How often to disassemble lock?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awreis

40 Cal
Reaction score
How often should a lock be disassembled and cleaned? Currently, I only have time to shoot mine maybe once a month. After each shooting session I remove my lock and scrub it woth soapy water, then moose milk, then I will lube it with ballistol before reinstalling it. Since I don't know when my next outing will be i want to make sure it's cleaned good enough to last a long time in storage just incase. I have only disassembled it once to do a little lock work but didn't know if I should take it appart more often than once a year or so. Also, is just using oil good for lock lubeing since I clean and lube after every shooting session or should I use a grease as well?

I do pull the lock and clean it every time I clean a rifle. I see no reason to disassemble the lock unless there is something that needs to be worked on.

Latest posts

Back