• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How old is your hunting gun?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a replica English sporting rifle in .62 caliber (Old Brutus) and I have no idea of the age. A good friend gave me the rifle years ago, and I have restocked it once since. It will be with me until the end...

I have two main players.... first is a .54 real Hawken kit gun from way back when. Its actually a bit of a hybrid as some parts are from the old Sharon Co. and others are from The Hawken Shop (Art Ressel) in St Louis. I have been shooting this gun since the late 70's. The second is a bit of an early VA flint gun shooting a Getz Transition .40 barrel.

These are the two that have seen the most use and game to bag for the last 40 some odd years.

both my .50 cal cap locks are 29 years old...lyman trade rifle and a safari arms(Toronto Canada) same basic rifle...trade rifle single trigger / the safari has patch box and set trigger...both made by investarms italy.. f.w.i.w. barrels have the AU code for 1989 and are less than 1000 numbers.apart.

I hunt grouse with a 1910 Ithaca and my centerfire rifle is a 1904 6.5mm portugeuse mauser....
recon I really need a Kodiak double front stuffer...

My totally customized Investarms/Thompson Center .54 is actually not that old, early 1990's? However the antique Wollensak brass scope is dated back to the mid 1800's. The See-Thru mounts were constructed from 1/2" key stock, while the hooded front sight was made from small steel tubing with a modified brass clock second hand. Like many here, most of my hunting gear; powder horn, powder measure, etc are homemade and I cast the bullets and balls.

I honestly do not know how many deer and hogs I have killed over the years with this rifle. But I know that I have killed more with this rifle than any other I own. It was my wedding rifle in 1979. GRRW Leman trade rifle. .50 calibre. It (and the horse) did survive a bit of a tumble down a mountain in the southern Gila in ‘84. Bluff gave way. It’s a good rifle. Still going strong.

Which one?

First Lyman Plains (not great plains) in .58 1-48 /.62 smooth both 15/16", early 1970s. The rifle does good with PRB or hornady GP conicals. The .62 is a straight bore, good with shot to ~ 30 yds, and decent with a ball at 50.

Next a Renegade stock, davis trigger and GM 1-28 barrel in .54 (90gr FFG wonder wad 425 GP hornady).

Then a Thompson hawken stock, NOS OEM Thompson 1-66 barrel, Davis trigger (shoots nice PRB, 0.018 patch wonder wad 110 FFg 0.530 swaged).

Another renegade in .50 1-28 GM stainless (80gr FFg wonder wad 385 gr buffalo bullet).

Another TC hawken .50 , davis trigger, 1-48 TC barrel (PRB or buffalo bullet) and 1-28 GM stainless barrel (buffalo bullet).

A Charles Daly fitted with a NOS Toledo 12ga extra full choke chromed, TC drop in barrel. It is light and sweet, only 15/16" on the flats but came with a proof sheet for 12ga barrel, ain't blown up yet. Good turkey/duck medicine.

The GM stainless barrels were a GM sale long ago, $100 each. Shoot conicals great, or PRB reduced loads. The NOS OEM .54 1-66 TC barrel came from member here, THANKS! All the thompsons were orphan stocks I rebarreled

For deer - a 6 year old Lyman Great Plains in .54
For carry backup, a 30 year old Lyman Plains pistol in .54
For smaller critters, a 60-5 year old custom Kentucky tiger maple 45 cal with a WM Large barrel on it.
All shoot PRB, all shoot really straight, all are percussion.

Back