• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

how smooth??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawk

54 Cal.
Reaction score
How smooth are the bores of your smoothbores?
I've seen polished bright to hazy ,right out of the box.
what is the norm?

hawk 2 said:
How smooth are the bores of your smoothbores?
I've seen polished bright to hazy ,right out of the box.
what is the norm?
My .54 and .62's from GM have looked like mirrors

my 12ga is mirror smooth. my 28ga isn't even close it shows a lot of reaming marks. I haven't shot the 12, the 28 shoots good enough that rabbits don't like it.

On my first 16ga smooth bore I got the barrel from Don Getz before it went to the builder, then I polished it in a friends machine shop using a tight cloth wad soaked in 600 grit compound,in and out 1,000 times. Then I did the same with 800 grit 1,000 times. Was all of this necessary? Yes,to satisfy my own perfectionist "disease". Did it improve the performance of the barrel? I doubt it, but who knows :hmm:

My Jackie Brown had surface rust when received. I buffed it a bit and it was basically a mild shine. I used it quite a bit without problem.

CS

I have an Armi-sport repo 1842 that I took a fine grit 12Ga shootgun hone to. I kind of like to think that it helps to keep the barrel a little cleaner. The smoother the bore the harder for foweling to stick to it, I think, may be? If nothing else, it will impress the hell out of your friends at a shoot when you drop a bore light down the barrel.

Latest posts

Back