• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How to bend a barrel?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Four2

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I recently inherited my a 20ga smoothbore of my Dad's. When I took it out this weekend to shoot it, I discovered it shoots great groups at 25 yards with most any patch/powder/ball combination I want to use. Now the bad news, these great groups are 8" low at 25 yards. I've read what I can find here and searched for a "how to" bend a barrel, but I'm not really finding a step by step if you will. Would those with experience please offer up some advice and maybe a tutorial, or at least a link to one that I've missed?
Thanks in advance for all of your help.

Mike Brooks uses the "Whack it on a tree" method. I've done one and rigged up a jig where I could prop up both ends of the barrel on blocks, and put a big clamp in the middle to slowly bend it the direction I wanted it to go. It will bend a LOT before taking a set. This can be done slow and easy, so don't be scared of doing it. :wink:

Stophel said:
Mike Brooks uses the "Whack it on a tree" method. I've done one and rigged up a jig where I could prop up both ends of the barrel on blocks, and put a big clamp in the middle to slowly bend it the direction I wanted it to go. It will bend a LOT before taking a set. This can be done slow and easy, so don't be scared of doing it. :wink:
The last one I did I did this way only I skipped the clamp and just stood on it. Easy peasey lemon squeezy.

Four2 said:
I recently inherited my a 20ga smoothbore of my Dad's. When I took it out this weekend to shoot it, I discovered it shoots great groups at 25 yards with most any patch/powder/ball combination I want to use. Now the bad news, these great groups are 8" low at 25 yards. I've read what I can find here and searched for a "how to" bend a barrel, but I'm not really finding a step by step if you will. Would those with experience please offer up some advice and maybe a tutorial, or at least a link to one that I've missed?

Before bending the barrel, I'd try different loads/sight pictures and consider filing down the front sight first.

bioprof said:
Four2 said:

Before bending the barrel, I'd try different loads/sight pictures and consider filing down the front sight first.
Never works. I have built hundreds of these things and when they shoot 8" low at 25 yards you have to bend the barrel.

Four2

I just bent a barrel this evening took all of 5 minutes

here's what I used

2 6" long 4"X4" wood blocks

set the wood blocks on top of and at the front edge on a stiff work bench

4" of block under each end of barrel---no underrib

clamped barrel to wood block and bench at same time..sights straight up

wrapped a piece of leather around the center of the barrel

took a steel bar wood clamp and clamped the center of the barrel with the leather to the bench

this bar clamp is the wood worker type with a 4" crank handle with a 4" travel

made sure the barrel was sights up and started to crank the clamp handle..surprised how easy it bent!

these barrel bending tools are portable and will go to the range in the next couple of days for pattern testing..will re bend to get the raise in poi if needed.

This is easier than you think!

IMG_1047.jpg

The one I bent was a gun that the guy mainly wanted to shoot round balls in. They printed over a FOOT low. There's no other option but to bend, and it really ain't hard to do.

Thanks! I had about decided to try a set up almost just like that.

Thank you all for the advice!

Four2
I took the barrel I bent the other night to my range to test the poi..rats still too low 11"..re-bent the barrel Rats! too much..straighten it back some and bingo! dead center at 35 yards..This is a 12 ga. flint barrel..the bend measures .130 at the deepest point....This is an easy project....Good luck with yours....dan

here's a pic of the bend gap at it's deepest point

IMG_1052.jpg

Mike Brooks said:
ebiggs said:
Do you do this for rifle barrels or just smooth bore barrels?
I have bent both.

I have noticed that old rifles generally have their sights centered and staked down...I think they often bent them suckers to sight them in!

That's great info and thanks for the picture. I was wondering how much bend it might take to raise point of impact about 8". Looks like it is less than I thought.

Back