• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

"how to" book

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmills

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I am looking for a detailed book on how to do things like cut dovetails and such. Any recommendations?

I'm assuming that you want to cut dovetails in barrels for sights and lugs? My answer will cover both for guns and furnature. The source to get up enought nerve to try practacly everything. Is the Foxfire Series of books. I think there are 12 books, but could be more. Check out Foxfire 5 from the library and it wall walk you through all stages of basic gun building and more...

Enjoy,

The series of books will knock your socks off!

:hmm: If you are looking for info about general gun building there are two books that will tell you about all you will need to know. "Recreating the American Longrifle" by Buchele, Shumway and Alexander at about $40.00 and "The Gunsmith of Grenville County" by Alexander, also around $40.00. Either are excellent books and will save you more that they cost. Besides that they are interesting books that you can read on those cold winter nights. Mistakes are expensive and these books will keep you from making many that could result in having to buy another part that you mess up. Good luck on your project. :winking:

If you are looking for a book on muzzle loading gun building, Peter Alexander's book "The Gunsmith of Grenville County" is probably the best book out there. But at $45, it's a llittle pricey.

Recreating the American Longrifle by William Buchele, George Shumway, Peter Alexander is good too. Not as expensive as the other book, but still kinds pricey.

"Lock, Stock, & Barrel, Volume 1" by R. H. McCrory and "The Modern Kentucky Rifle", illustrated instructions, for gun builders are inexpensive books, but IMHO, not as good as those two books mentioned above.

There are other good booklets on individual aspects of gunbuilding and restoration too.

Check out the books section on Track of the Wolf's web page for all of those mentioned and more.
J.D.

I second the " Gunsmith of Grenville County", probably one of the best out there that I have read. For a more visual approach, you may want to check out American Pioneer Video, they have a couple from Hershel House that are very good as well. I just got them, and man are they something!
Bryan

Check TOTW for the Gunsmith of Grenville. I got my hardbound copy for $35. (might have been a special promo price)

The Art of Building the Pennsylvania Longrifle by Dixon is one more book that is good.
Lehigh...

Back