• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How to clean out lead contaminated(?) cast iron

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
aah but all of those are made of steel not cast iron lead will stick to steel ie: soldering ribs to barrels, but is that because of the mix of the solder?
Actually, Lyman molds are made out of Meehanite a type of cast iron, don't know for certain about the rest, but that is what my Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook says.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meehanite

OK, here's the deal:

I have a cast iron, round bottom pot, about 1 1/2 to 2 gallon size.

When i first got it (new) cooked pinto beans in it, it didn't work too well for that. Was ok for stews, etc.

Then, in a fit of brilliance i used it to melt some lead. Wheel weight i think. Made a neat round bottom ingot, kind of like a lead frisbee.

So now after a lot more years have gone by, i'm thinking about trying to use it for cooking again, but worried about the lead (don't want to get any crazier than i am already).

My mind says there might be some lead in some of the surface roughness in the cast iron, but then it's not visible. I'm tempted to just turn it upside down over a fire, heat it up plenty hot, and start using it again, after reseasoning with the usual cast iron seasonng procedures.

What do you think? I recognize the health issue possibility. But i don't think the metallurgy is any kind of rocket science, the lead probably didn't combine with the cast iron, just was a surface film if anything, so just get it hot enough to melt and drop out any lead residue.

Now i don't think i'd want to try his on something that had been used as a lead pot for a long time. This was a one time thing.

What do you think?

rayb
Cough up the 20 bucks and buy a new skillet.

Back