• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How to inspect the barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newarcher

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Yeah, I know....match, right? :D JUST KIDDING.

I was given this Thompson Center rifle and I think the barrel is in really good shape (can't see any rust or fouling in the nipple chamber). I am just wondering what's the best way to inspect this thing.

Thanks,
Michael

Clean the rifle bore. Then use a tight white patch with a little lube on the patch. Push the patch down the bore. If you feel it crab or drag it may be pitted or rusted. Check the patch for rust or black lead residue. Some times lead is left in bore from using thin patches this will cause tight spots or drag when checking the bore. You can use lead removers like Bore Bright. These products will turn the patch green of blue if its lead in the bore. And you can also get a drop down bore light from any BP supply house. :thumbsup:

Many of the muzzleloader suppliers sell an inexpensive bore light that you drop into the muzzle. Let it settle to the breech and take a look. I think I got mine at The Possibles Shop, but I've seen them all over the place since.

newarcher

While your using redwing's method also check to see if the patched jag suddenly gets much easier to push thru a zone and then goes back to the same as it was in the upper part of the bore.

If this happens it indicates that the barrel is "ringed" or bulged in that area.

This problem isn't uncommon because if someone forgot to ram the bullet or patched ball all of the way down to the powder load and then fires the gun the barrel can be damaged.

While this usually does not make dangerous condition, a ringed barrel will never shoot accurately and the only fix is to replace the barrel.

When someone buys a used muzzleloader they should always check for this condition.

I bought a Streamlight Stylus LED penlight. Works great as a bore light. http://www.streamlight.com/product/product.aspx?pid=52

I found a combo package from Optics Planet that included the Stylus and the Stylus Reach (with a 7" flexible neck) for around $25. I believe the batteries were included, along with a glare guard.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back