• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How to make Hairpipe

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The New Guy

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I have been wanting to do this for quiet a while now and I can't seem to find a good tutorial on the subject. What methods have you used, what "machinery" would I need, what type of bone works best. I do prefer doing things "the way it was done in the day" so to speak. Any help or links to useful info would be greatly appreciated. And yes, i know I can buy it premade by the piece or the pound but I like making things myself. Thanks in advance.

If you could lay your hands on the booklet "Hair pipes in plains indian ornaments", by J.C. Ewers (Indian Reprints- Iroqrafts), you would have a ton of information. AN made them originally from the lip of the West Indian conch (Strombus gigas)...Some dealers in beads and the like still sell these. You can readily see a difference with bone hair pipes. The ones from shell have a special shine... The trick is to bore the shell from both sides and have the drilled out ends meet in the middle. Like quillwork and beadwork, the hairpipe evolved during time, about the same as wampum. So if you are looking to make a hairpipe ornament it is imperative to first determine when and where in history you want to use it... or it will be out of place like an AK 47 in Civil War... Eventually whites started to fabricate these hairpipes in bone, they became longer and cheaper and became a mass product... Hence the small early shell ornaments like earhangers, and the very late bone breastplates from the plains... Hopes this explanation hlps a bit...

Sunkmanitu Tanka said:
AN made them originally from the lip of the West Indian conch (Strombus gigas)...
FWIW, not to be confused with Dentalium shells.

N19%20Dentalium%20Shell%20Choker%20-%20$75.jpg

ThrowingStick.jpg

jjj5714.jpg

I turn on a lathe and think in those terms. I would drill the hole through my chosen material then use the holes as my center, put on lathe and turn.
Lathes go way-way back in time so it ain't completely 'not authentic' to do it that way.

Back