• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How to make jute tow

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That jute tow is excellent for starting fires with a flint and steel. Get your char cloth glowing, wrap it in a bundle of jute tow, blow on it then WOOSH !! The historical village where I volunteer in the Blacksmith shop, I do alot of fire demonstrations for the public. I have alot of jute cord to unravel yet to add to my fire making bundle.
Ohio Rusty ><>
View attachment 317772
dang.im learning something on here. thank you

FYI, there is an 'oil' or other processing lubricant on those balls of jute, so while 'dry', it is not a clean dry if you will. For best results when using as a fire starter, take 3-4' cut lengths and tie them off to a tree out in the backyard to air and dry out in the sun, wind and/or rain for weeks/months at a time.

Gather some when you know it's good and dry! And store it in a non-periodic correct ZipLok baggie, haha!

At one woodswalk I attend, one is not only timed when starting a fire with flint and steel, but you also need to light a candle by that flame too! One 'pro' did it in only 7-seconds the other weekend! Yup, you read that correctly!
We had a guy light one in 3 seconds. Fold the char over the flint edge, strike directly through the char, catches first spark every time. Drop the steel or just keep in on your fingers, drop the flint or let it fall in the birds nest.

A couple months ago a couple of our members were fooling around with a Bic and trying to get some cardboard lit. I watched for a bit, pulled up some dry grass, and lit the other side of their cardboard before they had a flame.

Glad I clicked on this thread earlier today, I'm in the process of clearing out the warehouse and production area at my work. Sadly we've closed up and I lost my job but being the only emplyee left til the end, I've gotten so much good stuff for free it's incredible. I just came across 4 10 lb rolls of jute twine that probably would've gone in the trash!
20240607_124322.jpg

Latest posts

Back