• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How & When did you start in Muzzlelaoding, or Shooting Muzzloaders

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was turned loose with a .22 winchester 1906 at age nine. Many a ribbit and squirell were skillfully dispatched. I didn't run across my first muzzleloader (TC Hawken) untill I was 23. Been a down hill slide ever since. :winking:

When I was 10 I got a ruger 10/22. My first black powder gun was a replica Remington 1858.

Back in 1970 a buddy came up with a repro 58 Remington. I liked the gun so much I finally traded him out of it. I used it almost daily for several years till the loading lever broke. Still have it, it's still broke. From there I bought a Kentucky flinter but it was a major disappointment. Only fired once in a while, usually when I least expected it. I've had several percussion rifles and pistols since then but no flinters. Would like to have one that actually works tho.

Let me start by saying that I have been converted to ML by my older brother.
I had a solid background in High Power Rifle compatition, and did well on the state level. Every time my brother and I would get together I would pick on him for shooting such a old design firearm. Well one day we went to the range and he was shooting his smoke stick and I gave it a try. He talked me into getting a Pennsylvania Hunter to get started. After going to the range for instruction and sighting in I went to the next match they had and had a real good time.
That was the last day I shot that gun. I promptly went down to Cabin Creek ( Brad Emig) and picked
up a kit, a Yorktown in .40 cal. I just got done refinishing it because as my first build I had left it a bit heavy. That gun has secured me many a pack of yard bird and other vittels for the little lady.

As a kid, neighbor taught me on an original no name .36, which he would then lend to me, I remember it was stamped as having a cast steel barrel. When the civil war craze hit in 1961, I was one of the nuts that went hog wild with the current replicas available at the time, ( Remington Zouave and Colt Army) which were then of very poor workmanship. Later, it was a couple of the Mowerys and a some original DB percussion shotguns.

Bought a Bill Fuller Hawken, then started the bad habit of building my own in the early 70's. In short, the pre-teen breathing of fumes from Mr. Dupont's holy black has led to a lifetime addiction.

A friend from work got me started in 1975. He let me shoot a Kentucky long rifle that he'd put together from a kit. Put one together for myself and off I went. Not long after that I read an article about Val Forgett using the .58 to take game in Africa. As a young man I decided that I needed a .58 also. :grin: Bought an Italian .58 Hawken. Then came my pistol and revolver era. Had to have a Kentucky pistol to go with the rifle, not sure what brought the revolvers on the scene. Got a 1851 in .36 to start with, then a .44 in same make. Ended up with 2 of each. Wish I still had all that I started with...but don't. These days I'm down to a Lyman gpr and a 1860 Army. My ole buddy quit shooting blackpowder not long after he got me started...I'm glad he got me in on it though. Been some real good times shooting that stuff. :thumbsup:

I am but a recent convert to black powder muzzle-loaders, though it is not the only type of shooting I do. However I came to blackpowder through my love of single shot rifles, and the rifle craft necessary for using single shots whilst hunting. Using a muzzle-loader seemed like a logical step. Add to that a sense of history, and the avoidance of meaningless technology, and I was a ready candidate for being drawn into this kind of shooting.

My Dad received from his Dad an original Gallager carbine. It was in mint condition. As the story goes, my Grandfather found it in the floorboards of a barn he was paid to tear down in the 30's. It was still in the cosomoline; along with it was some old Union paper currency and a Union uniform. He sold the currency, donated the uniform to the Henry Ford museum and kept the carbine. Anyway, Dad wanted to shoot it and to find the brass cartridge that it takes took us to Dixie Gun Works. Minnie balls and the brass cartridge were bought from them and we got on their mailing list. Catalogues began coming and with shooting that old Galleger, (I know I hear the moans from you all, yes, we shot it, a lot!) I got interested. Built a Kentucky pistol from one of their kits in the early 70's, been hooked ever since.

I asked this same question to an old budddy of mine , he's in his 90s . He said when he was a boy thats all there was to shoot and when he got older he didn't see any reason to use anything else . Bless him he can barely see across the street but he can still hit a bulls eye at 60 yards .

I bought my first ML in the early 90's . It was a T.C. Hawken in .50 cal. caplock. After a couple of years, I stripped it down and refinished the stock and browned the barrel, added some brass tacks, sold it and bought a flint rifle, I ain't been right since. :rotf:

I;d rather clean 5 ML's than one stick powder firearm. With centerfires, it seems like the more I clean , the dirtier they get, I ain't never got a "clean" patch from a centerfire no matter how long I work at it

rebelyell62 said:
I;d rather clean 5 ML's than one stick powder firearm. With centerfires, it seems like the more I clean , the dirtier they get, I ain't never got a "clean" patch from a centerfire no matter how long I work at it

Prolly cuz ya ain't cleanin it right. Ya been cleanin smoke poles too long. :grin:

Always liked old guns. About '66 or so I bought a Centennial Arms 1860 Army from Martin C Retting in Culver City, Cal. Literally shot it to pieces. As a 20 year old in '71, got tired of my factory job and went hunting for employment in any gunshop that would have me. Got hired as a full time ballcaster at the Flintlock in Anaheim, Ca. I was in heaven!! Was out front selling rifles, pistols, and parts after the first week. I lived, breathed, worked, and ate black powder and the Rocky Mountain Fur Trade for eight years straight!I ended up managing the place. By the time I quit to move to Montana, I was an active member of 3 different clubs and the AMM. It was, without doubt, the best job I have ever had. The owners were like family, the customers were my friends, and the knowledge base that came through the doors, was like a college course in Living History. I actually used to get PAID to go to shoots and rendezvouz!!!(how cool is THAT!). Moved to Big Timber, Mt in '80 which was a hot bed of M/L activity at the time. I still regret quiting the Flintlock, but wouldn't trade my life here for anything.
Tom

Started last December in a cold snap of 0 degrees. I finally had all the "stuff" I needed to fire the Hawken I'd purchased in August.

I did fire a ML back in about 1982 at a Boy Scout encampment.

I am so green.

In 1979 my best friend bought and built a CVA Mountain rifle. He let me shoot it and I was hooked! I went out and bought my own CVA Mtn. rifle kit followed soon after by the Mtn. pistol. From there it was downhill. Four or five pistols, Dixie tennessee rifle, blunderus. You know the story, if I buy any more guns my wife will leave me. I'm sure going to miss her. (just kidding honey) I've still got the Mtn. rifle, haven't seen my friend in a long time.

Latest posts

Back