• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How'd you get your start in gun building?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw the 200 year anniversary of the Corps of Discovery fast approaching and got this crazy idea of building a flintlock and hunting with it as a tribute during 2004-2006.

And I just don't want it to end. :grin:

Back in the last Century 1963 I ordered a(kit) from Dixie Gun Works. They cashed my check sent me a couple of screws and said the rest was on back order. Some things never change.

Long story short they eventually sent everything but the pre inleted stock. They offered to send me a blank of equal value to the precarve so I took the deal.

My first gun had all the grace & beauty of a gas pipe wired on to a 2X4 for a stock. But it did go bang and things I shot at fell down.

I knew I could do better so I read everything I could find and started rounding up parts for another gun. Tom Hamton a old gunsmith had a shop near Mistic Iowa. He sold me parts and gave me lots of schooling on how a gun should be built.

Over the years I have done 15 or 20 guns and try to make each one better than the last.

And on and on it goes.

Back