• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Howdah handgun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's really neat to own a sawed-off pistol shotgun that is legal and a hoot to shoot. Love mine and it's a keeper. Also have the Kodiak in .72 caliber which is another keeper. Shoot and enjoy!

I don't have one and doubt I ever will as I have my flint pistols and C&B revolvers to keep me busy. That said, there is a review on the Howdah pistols in the latest issue (Jan. 2010) of the American Rifleman.

My Howdah is a 20 gauge purchased in kit form from Dixie. Other than target shooting, it is a rabbit gun during hunting season, and a self protection gun (against bears) while riding my horse. A bear hasn't jumped up in front of us yet, so I don't know first hand what are the sighting problems of a moving bear, with me shooting from a panicked horse. I'll let you know if/when it happens.

Rabbit loads use 1 ounce six shot. Bear loads are #2buck in first to fire barrel, .600 round ball in second load. These pistols are fun to shoot, and finding a load doesn't take too long.

Have you tested the penetration of those sixes? I ask because I jug choked a .56 caliber smoothbore pistol with a 10" barrel for a member here. I tested it with 40 grains of 3f, 28 gauge wads and 3/4 ounce of nickle plated sixes. It put 7 pellets on a Goex can but they didn't even penetrate the front side of the can at 15 yards. I'd not care to shoot live game with anything that wouldn't shoot through a steel Goex can.

Pete D. said:
How about a flint Howdah?
I haven't heard of one being made.

Historically, one would be a throwback to the old days because it wasn't until the mid 1800's that the British took control of India and by that time the Percussion system was pretty much accepted and used by the British hunters of that time.

I have wanted a double-barreled flint gun just to see how often it chain fires. Maybe some day I will have one.

1 ounce of 6's, 40 grs FFF penetrate a small bean can, and ventilate rabbits quite well. The pattern is getting sick at about 20 yards. Load: powder, .125 card, 1/2 fiber, shot, thin over powder card. Haven't ventilated a bear yet, just hope the horse has a high gear I haven't asked for yet.

Pete D. said:
OK, yeah if they make one. They are strictly a short range, last defense type of gun so don't really know what they will do on targets that are more than a few yards away. Anyone know??

You better hope he has a very high gear since Grizz can out run a horse over short distances.

mazo kid said:
Pete D. said:
OK, yeah if they make one. They are strictly a short range, last defense type of gun so don't really know what they will do on targets that are more than a few yards away. Anyone know??

With no rear sight the Howdah is for short range, last ditch effort to keep a man eater off you. I have loaded 50grs under a 341gr, .610 patched round ball. I'm sure it would puncture a goex can if I could hit it.

Back