• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

human scent in the woods

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Every area, has it's challenges. Here in flat land Ohio where I hunt, you are trying to get into a 5 acre woods. They know how you are going to come into the woods as they have you patterned. I have hunted Colo. as well. It has it's own set of challenges. Many of what we call forest here, is very thin in Colo. but there are draws and saddles you can use to your advantage. A good hunter becomes successful, when he learns to adapt to his hunting area and they are all different. Deer do look up here. Wind does swirl here. If you are hunting the windward side of the woods, your scent can blow back into the woods but then back draft towards you again. Same as on the leeward side of the woods. Thermals need to be considered and they are created by shade and sun. Not picking on anyone, but again, every place has it challenges that a good hunter will figure out in time. If he doesn't figure it out, his season gets to be longer :grin: .If you really like to spend time in the woods, do it with the wind to your back, your time in the woods will be longer. :wink:

IO usually eat a large bowl of home made chilli the night before the hunt and have no issues with scent the following day, evidently the Deer around here are found of Methane.I have often wonderd exactly how anyone knows for absolute sure without a doubt that it was "scent" that busted them. Does the Deer scamper off holding its nose?

Oh, I know I've busted by scent only. Sitting by a dirt tank, deer or elk come in cautiously, usually the head mama doe or cow checking it out first. She stops suddenly, puts her nose in the air, gets a funny look on her face, turns her head to one side, then forward again, then bolts in the direction she came, with the rest of the herd following. Happened to me many times, without the animal ever looking in my direction. You can't see their nostrils flaring, or hear any "sniff sniff" sound, but you can tell by their facial expression that something stinky just got their attention. Bill

tg said:
IO usually eat a large bowl of home made chilli the night before the hunt and have no issues with scent the following day, evidently the Deer around here are found of Methane.I have often wonderd exactly how anyone knows for absolute sure without a doubt that it was "scent" that busted them. Does the Deer scamper off holding its nose?
:rotf: :rotf:

But what scent was it?? :haha:
I wish I had a nickle for every time I heard an elk or deer blow before I saw them. One elk did it so close to me in heavy timber that I jumped.

Right on, bro!! Even the third pic would be tough going, a twig would snap at every step.
Thanks!

Mike Brines said:
But what scent was it?? :haha:
I wish I had a nickle for every time I heard an elk or deer blow before I saw them. One elk did it so close to me in heavy timber that I jumped.

Or bark really close. That can make your pants heavy. Bill

Back