• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hunt in the rain rifle cover someone made?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Our fellow forum member Cutfingers makes an excellent cows knee. I also have the one from The Leatherman and it's too stiff...doesn't conform around the barrel. It's more like a roof for the lock. It's OK, but I think ones made of supple leather that can fit tightly with ties have a better chance of keeping water out that is running down the stock.

Our fellow forum member Cutfingers makes an excellent cows knee. I also have the one from The Leatherman and it's too stiff...doesn't conform around the barrel. It's more like a roof for the lock. It's OK, but I think ones made of supple leather that can fit tightly with ties have a better chance of keeping water out that is running down the stock.
Yes, thin, supple leather is better. I have better pics of mine somewhere. It is very well greased deer hide. When the front thing is wrapped around it and tied it conforms to the barrel very well. A little extra beeswax/oil mix rubbed on the barrel at this point and it seals off water flow quite well.
It also packs away easier than heavy stiff leather when not needed.

Tentsmiths IIRC used to sell what they called a "Watch Coat" made from oil cloth. The sleeves were cut very broad so as to allow you to slip the butt end of your rifle into the sleeve, covering the lock and about 3/4 of your rifle. They used to sell oil cloth by the yard too. I don't know if the new owners still make all the other things like the coat but if you're keeping yourself out of the rain and have room for your rifle, then all the better I would think.

Here is another pic of my cow's knee, still not the clear one I thought I had, I may take more at some point.
20201218_024614.jpg

Here is the pattern I used,
20201218_040424.jpg

Back