• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hunt starts Sept. 30

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WET = quiet :thumbsup: Game animals simply Love a light misty rain (contrary to what a few other believe). I see more game in a light rain than a nice sunny day. Keeps em cool and keeps the bugs down!

DO NOT forget yer camera!

I have noticed that the wet quiet ground makes the deer more skittish. When every single bug and critter crawling over the ground is rustling and making noise the deer have to filter a lot out or they are jumping at squirrel farts.

Cynthialee said:
I have noticed that the wet quiet ground makes the deer more skittish. When every single bug and critter crawling over the ground is rustling and making noise the deer have to filter a lot out or they are jumping at squirrel farts.

Well at least they are out there and we all want a big ol deaf bruiser anyway!! :blah:

(i would shoot a spike out from in front of him myself, being a MEAT hunter I want meat NOW and am not known to wait a second longer than I have to to before firing!!

I prefer good meat to a fancy trophy. So if given a choice I am setting my sights on a younger spike or 2 pointer.

Now if I do happen to run across a nice trophy buck I will indeed shoot it as one of the neighbors is a taxidermist and knows how to do a European mount. I can fix game taste with some tomato in the stew and it goes well enough in spaghetti/lasagna sauce.

I shot that "old bruiser" last fall, and coarse ground ALL of the meat including the backstraps. For a mountain WT to grow to 46-47" chest girth, with no farm fields to feed in, it had to be old. LOP on that stock is 13-3/4", the bag pictured is 9"x9", so he has a head like a horse

This was some of the best venison that I've ever had. Done in a skillet after first browning onions in butter, it was "chopped steak". Nothing else was added other than salt and pepper.

I should mention, this one was skinned while still warm, some meat cut and in the refrigerator as soon as skinned, and when I ran out of time, the remnants hung over night and ALL was in the refrigerator within 24 hours.

The immediate and proper care of meat is a game changer at the dinner table. The best elk we ever ate was my sons first bull, a dandy 6 pt. He shot its leg off it ran 600 yds and bled out. SOOO it had bled out (good) and had to be full of Adrenalin (bad) but was the best!

OTH my wife shot a 4x5 bull once, one shot kill DRT and it was gutted and skinned and in the cooler in less than 3 hrs and it was rancid. Couldnt even eat the burger, (wondered if we got her elk back?)? Deer, best ever was a 30" buck quick kill. All the best evers were spikes n cows

So younger and (female?) game almost always is better table fare but there are once in a whiles? :grin:

The butcher leaves it hang for at least a week but in a cooler.

Knew an old man (REAL good outdoorsman) and he would hang his deer/elk until he found a touch of mold then cut and wrap. VERY tender but....eewe :td:

I used to take my critters to a meat cutter, but two times I was surprised at what I got back. Once I took a enormous cow elk and got a small box of meet back It was good but a lot less than expected. The second time I took in a forked horn Buck deer and got three big boxes of meat. So somewhere things were getting mixed up is my guess. I also got suspicious when he was offering free samples of the different kinds of jerky and Sausage. :hmm:

Any ways, not many options for other processers so I bought a big grinder and now I cut and grind my own. I do wish I had a walk in cooler to let it age for a few days but oh well.

I brought a rutting 10-pointer into a processor in So. Georgia and told him I wanted it all made into sausage. He asked if I wanted to take the sausage with me right then.
I agreed because I figured whatever deer went into the sausage, it had to be better than that stinky rutting buck I brought in.

I pity whoever got my deer. :barf: However, I never brought him another deer.

Local place I go to (when the deer is larger than I care to do myself) is very good about getting the deer you bring to them back to you. I have never had any reason to doubt them on this. In my circle of family and friends we have had a bunch of deer brought to them over the years.

I used the processor my farmer friend used, always got 40 pounds of meat, no matter what size deer I brought him.

Found a processor near me who does one deer at a time, start to finish. You get the meat you brought in.

Now, if I can just get the deer....
Richard/Grumpa

excess650 said:
I shot that "old bruiser" last fall, and coarse ground ALL of the meat including the backstraps.
Oh Lord, that's almost criminal! :wink: You need to bite down on some good ole southern smothered venison steak over hand made noodles!

Do have to say my 'Hunting Uncle' did the same a you mentioned. He and the two old coots he ran with ground up two javelinas with every whitetail. Their sausage would make you cry!

I have a friend with a smoker who makes venison sausage, and that is what I had intended for this old buck. After my wife did some of the coarse grind in the skillet with onions, there was no further thought of sausage. :wink:

Does anyone eat the heart and liver? This one had a heart that looked like it came out of a steer. The liver was huge as well.

move to ga. . they allow 12 a year. still to many left after season. it goes till jan. 15, 2018.

excess650 said:
Does anyone eat the heart and liver? This one had a heart that looked like it came out of a steer. The liver was huge as well.

My family likes deer heart as much as the backstraps. It's my kids' favorite after deer jerky.

Generally, the liver is best when it's from a young deer. Some like deer liver better than calves liver because it has a milder taste. I like calves liver best.

Back