• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hunt starts Sept. 30

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't eat innards. Hearts, and liver...no thanks. But every deer I have shot and all but one I have seen shot got the bullet in the heart and there was little left of it.

Now I don't mind sausage in natural casing. That is about as far as I go with eating the innards. I feed that stuff to the local ravens and magpie.

Cynthialee said:
I don't eat innards. Hearts, and liver...no thanks. But every deer I have shot and all but one I have seen shot got the bullet in the heart and there was little left of it.

Now I don't mind sausage in natural casing. That is about as far as I go with eating the innards. I feed that stuff to the local ravens and magpie.

Thought you had dogs? The liver can be dehydrated and you have those All Natural Liver treats for dogs You know the ones that are $12 for a 6oz bag at the high end pet stores :wink: Except your's would be organic as well. So you can show up at the dog park and look down your nose at the lady with the labradoodle BMW and those tacky store bought liver treats :rotf:

lol

Yeah I can't give my boy Wiener Dog anything but hydrolyzed proteins. And if I give it to the other dogs and not him I will get the treatment from him and end up cleaning wiz all over the house and some obedience issues.

Ever have Wiener Dogs? Don't. They used to be hunting dogs then some housewives and their dog show friends in the city got their hands on the breed and messed them all up. They don't think right, they have more attitude than their tiny bodies can back up and they are the hardest breed to potty train. And they are prone to a list of breed specific maladies.
I'd rather not have the 2 we have, but they are part of the family now and I couldn't visit these demons on another household.

Turkey....
So the last couple weeks we had them in the neighborhood. Lots of them. Yesterday was the opener and there is not a turkey in sight. They seem to get the same red alerts the deer get.

Brokennock said:
I hate liver, all kinds. But, the heart, oh yes, wonderful stuff. So disappointed when the shot destroys the heart. So many great ways to prepare it too.

I agree. The only thing liver is good for is catfish bait. Now heart ran through a cubing machine, like cube steak, is a treat fit for a king. Keep yer powder dry......robin :hmm:

Last edited by a moderator:
Deer liver is the BEST catfish bait for a trot line IMO because it isn't as mushy as beef and pork liver so it stays on the hooks better and catches more fish.

Kansas Jake said:
Our ML season is on right now and the daytime highs have been in the mid 90s. Not good weather to hang meat.
Yep.
I didn't even bother going out with this heat. :shake:

One of the blessings of living here, the hunting season is rarely hot. It does occasionaly get cold and wet to the point it puts me off from going out.
When those days come around I window hunt. I watch the outside and keep my eyes out for game. If I see a critter worthy of the oven I grab and sneak out the door on the other side from where I saw the critter. I've been tempted to just post myself on the roof....

When I lived in Montana I saw many many elk and deer in my front yard some real trophies but I never shot a one. I can't kill if I aint huntin.

Cynthialee said:
One of the blessings of living here, the hunting season is rarely hot. It does occasionaly get cold and wet to the point it puts me off from going out.
You can always add clothes for cold...taking them off for hot hit's a "Go/No Go" limit! :rotf:

Wes/Tex said:
Cynthialee said:
You can always add clothes for cold...taking them off for hot hit's a "Go/No Go" limit! :rotf:

You are so right, you can only take off so much and still be socially acceptable.......robin :surrender:

sidelock said:
When I lived in Montana I saw many many elk and deer in my front yard some real trophies but I never shot a one. I can't kill if I aint huntin.
I don't hunt for the hunt or the majestic outdoors.
I live in the forest and get my wild fix on a daily basis.
If I am shooting at deer it is for food and I will take whatever opportunity that crosses my path.
Them deer that come into my yard? Yeah they are rather majestic and pretty, but they are extremely dumb to come close to humans. Here is your Darwin award....

Did some target work with the .56 at 45 yards and I need to spend a lot more time with this gun and the .550 roundballs.

Got pretty discouraging when I started shooting a buckshot pattern instead of a group like the first hour of shots were giving.

Thinking of dragging out old faithful, my T/C Hawken in .50
Killed a couple of deer with it so far.

One thing bugging me is that with the .535 balls and a fairly loose patch I was getting decent groups, nothing to write home about, but acceptable for hunting deer at 50 yards and closer. Didn't matter if I loaded a lot of powder or a lighter charge. I guess I could go back to the .535 balls if I run out of these .550 before I find a group. (What will likely happen in that event is I will get mule headed and buy more .550 and insist on finding the group.)

Now I have the .550 balls and the patch ball combo is good and tight, and my target should be burned for its shame.

I am digging out my CVA .50 rifle tomorrow. I haven't even shot it yet since I put it together from parts.

About them .550 roundballs...Holy Moley! They leave huge gapping holes in my target. Pretty sure one could shoot any critter on earth with one and it would do the job in short order.

It sounds like the .56 is telling you it prefers the .535s. I wouldn't get too wound up about the tight .550s in a smoothbore.

Back