• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hunted too late.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patocazador

54 Cal.
Reaction score
I was given a doe tag at a public hunting area on the last day of the muzzleload hunt and I sat later than usual hoping that something would show up. It did .. right at dark.
I saw a large deer cross a small opening and got set in case another followed. A minute later another deer showed in the same place and I fired.
I got down out of the tree after I dropped my light and messed it up. I couldn't find any sign of a hit but it was dark by then.

A game warden was at the check station and said I probably missed because he heard the shot and it didn't sound like a hit. I thought he'd go back with me but he was reluctant.

I went back at daylight with my dog and she immediately picked up the trail and found a doe .. alive .. in a thicket with 2 broken legs. I finished it with a knife because that hunt ended the night before and no guns were allowed the next day.

I took a shot too long and too late. Please don't make the same mistake.

My dog is a good one for sure. She has found quite a few deer over the years.

Sometimes a long suffering deer doesn't "taste good"....adrenaline gives the meat that "wild flavor".

Have encountered that taste in an injured steer and will never forget it......Fred

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, I've done the same before and its good to be reminded that each shot should be as sure and carefully placed as we can make it.

Jeff

But you did right by going back the next day to track and find the doe, and the meat will probably be fine. 4-5 years ago a lady who lives about a mile from me had a wounded doe in her yard that had been shot the day before, this was during Ohio's late MZ season, after she consulted with the game warden she offered the deer to me, I put the deer out of pain and the meat turned out fine.

you did the right thing going back to check, all to many times people dont. the dog looks like my buddies, her name is daisy and shes loves to track deer also.

It ain't always pretty.
Ya do the best you can and go to sleep
at night with a clear conscience.
Congratulation on the doe.
Well earned due to your persistence!

PJC

Last day, last chance..."it ain't always pretty".
But, you took the only shot you had. You went back after it next day, and found it. That deer suffered a lot less than it would have being set upon by a pack of "feral" dogs, or coyotes. Or banged up by an automobile.

The ball may have been deflected by a branch you couldn't see.

Meat will probably be ok. My buddy found one the next day, dead, but still warm. Tasted fine.

Enjoy your harvest, and sleep well. I quit hunting when I can't see the sights, but can still see the deer.

I think you did OK brother and that is a good dog. Tia found me a red stag the next day once.
I am glad you did no listen to the expert!

Well done :hatsoff:

B.

You did the right thing in going back and there should be no wasted meat. You're fortunate to have a good dog to help.

I agree with Roguedog. These are good reminders to us all to be extra careful. A little "humbling" experience can be a good thing. Thanks for posting.

Follow up:

Had some round steak off the doe last night. It was tender and delicious, no hint of anything bad. In fact, it was the best I've had in 2 years. She was covered in a thin layer of white fat from all the acorns. :v

How food tastes to an individual is very subjective.

Wild game needs care in it's field dressing and thereafter.....to me, a long suffering animal's meat isn't what I would eat, but that's my preference by way of experience.

Spices in the countries that use a lot of it, do it for a reason....to cover up the taste of questionable food. Lack of refrigeration of meat causes off tastes and therefore "needs" spices to make it palatable.

Have read many recipes for venison and it seems that some recipes attempt to cover up that "wild taste" w/ various ingredients...including spices and prolonged soaking in different liquids. The reasons for a "wild game taste" are many and varied and judging from the awful smell at some deer processing shops, many eat venison that really shouldn't be eaten. Properly shot and cared for deer don't have a "wild game taste".

During the "Great Depression" had a relative who was too poor to buy ammo so used his wolf snares and drove the deer into them. The snared deer struggled a lot before an axe ended their misery....this meat definitely had an "off taste".

Not saying what people should eat, just that my palate doesn't tolerate off tastes....covered up or not.....Fred

"Spices in the countries that use a lot of it, do it for a reason....to cover up the taste of questionable food. Lack of refrigeration of meat causes off tastes and therefore "needs" spices to make it palatable."

My "cover-up" spices are garlic powder and a little salt. I just sprinkle some on the steak, put it on the grill, turn it, and eat it.

That's a good way to cook venison....the smoke from grilling also affects the taste as does the condiments you used. Happy eating.....Fred

Well done duck hunter. Thanks to your perseverance you kept an animal from a slow and painful demise and filled your larder too. Where were you, 3 Lakes? Keep yer powder dry....Robin :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back