• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

hunter-gatherer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a 13 gauge that looks just like yours. It has scott and sons on the lock. I just love the way it carrys and swings. It uses 12 gauge wads just right so it is a no hassel shooter! Thanks so much for a fun post to read! Geo. T.

The best part of starting out my kids hunting is that I get to small game hunt with them again...I think the 2 squirrels in the freezer are going to be dumplings tonight. My wife's favorite way to cook small game is to make them into mini hot pockets "calzones"; small game meat, goat milk ricotta cheese, itlian spices wrapped in a bread dough baked and dipped in marinara sauce.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Well done Spence.That's what keeps us young uns goin.Griz

Agreed. I want to see one of these italian squirrel calzones. I just might try it myself.

Jeff

:thumbsup:

Congratulations!
A fine story and pictures again - thank you for sharing! I second the interest in the recipe and pictures of the dish.

Silex

My Momma tried to teach me not to play with my food, but it didn't take. Cooking 18th century style is a big part of my fascination with early American history, and I love trying recipes influenced by their ways. I've been wanting to try rabbit cooked in a clay pot for a long time, just never got around to it. My bad.

I simply dredged the bunny in cornstarch seasoned with salt and pepper and fried it lightly. I then put it into the clay baker with a cubed potato and an onion. I stuck whole cloves into the onion pieces, sprinkled dried rosemary over the potatoes and a fair amount of mace over the rabbit pieces. More salt and freshly ground black pepper over everything, then baked it in a hot oven. In colonial days nutmeg and mace were commonly used to season meats, whereas we usually limit their use to sweets. Both work very well for meats, rabbit included.

claybunnyY.jpg

claybunnyZc.jpg

This experiment worked very well, and will be my go-to recipe for rabbit. Gotta try squirrel, too, of course.

Black powder hunting, there's nothing about it I don't enjoy. A typical hunt takes me 3-4 days, even though the actual hunt may be only a few hours on one afternoon. Preparing for the trip, collecting the gear, making the plans takes at least one day. The hunt a second, including cleaning the gun afterwards, which I'm strange enough to like doing. Cleaning any game I manage to sneak up on makes that day a busy one. Then, planning and fixing the meal and eating it on the third... sometimes that's my favorite part. Add in a day or two of pleasant anticipation before the hunt and another couple reliving and relishing it afterward, and you've had nearly a week of what must without doubt be some of the best quality time to be had.

Spence

My God Man! I'm coming over to your house. That looks so good I can taste it from here! :surrender: You sure do know how to do things right. The simplest reicpes are the best, who needs all that fou-fou stuff. And your right on the planning, hunting and eating stuff. After a day at the range I too enjoy cleaning and oiling my rifle, and soon I'll have two! can't wait.

a good hunt and a good meal!

your post made me hungry... now its time to cook up some venison.

-matt

This is awesome; I brought rabbit stew to the office with me this morning, for lunch.
I took 3 with a modern shotgun last week, but looking at your BP has me thinking. And my credit card getting worried... :idunno:

Spence, you continue to inspire. I'm going to have to find a clay baking pot and try this very thing. I recently purchased a Centermark fusil de chasse that simply screams to go rabbit hunting.
Thank you once again for your posts.

BillinOregon said:
I'm going to have to find a clay baking pot and try this very thing.
OT warning:

Bill. I use the Romertofp baker. It does a good job, especially with chicken.

claybunnyU.jpg

RomertopfFowl.jpg

Spence

Golly Gee Willikers!

I've slow smoked rabbit, but made the mistake of using mesquite. Wasn't very good. Should have used hickory or oak. I should have known better.

This is exactly one reason I want to bore a Deerstalker barrel out to a smoothbore!

I had to copy the post about making squirrel calzones and emailed it to SWMBO. She looks at me funny when I want to hunt and eat something "different." She doesn't like the little bodies of the little critters I've brought home. It also took her a while to eat deer.

But she used to be a vegetarian. Glad she ain't no more!

All ready received a reply:

"Gross ”“ is this supposed to be a recipe recommendation for me?"

Told her, "Yep."

Spence,

You definatly don't disapoint! Thanks for sharing. I really enjoy your posts.

Thanks

Latest posts

Back