• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

hunting bag sheen

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gray Wolf said:
... was an experiment in how well I could age the elk so it would look like old, well "aged" bark tan.

Looks like you got it! Beautiful work. :thumbsup: How is the snake skin attached to the bag?

Thanks Az - the snake skin is sandwiched between the liner and the cover and then sewn through both layers around the edge (the line of beadwork). The snake is also glued to the liner using the old traditional vegetable starch (in this case rye flour) and water paste.

:hatsoff: beautiful gear!! So, did you age this baga nd belt etc. the way he describes in the article??

Beautiful bags, etc. That is the kind of look I am seeking. Thank you all for your input!

DrTimBoone said:
:hatsoff: beautiful gear!! So, did you age this baga nd belt etc. the way he describes in the article??

Thanks - and yes I used most of the Zurl article techniques along with a few of my own that I've learned in the last 45 years of doing this. It's really a matter of using dyes, oils, rubbing, sanding, etc to accelerate the aging - the biggest "secret" though is looking at LOTS of old leather and imitating the look as closely as possible - doesn't have to be Period leather just old, worn leather. Also knowing when to stop....... :hmm:
FWIW - Starting with bark/vegtan or brain tan is "easier", but I like a challenge.... :grin:

A few years ago my pouch took second at Dixon's because it did not have ENOUGH sheen. If I remember correctly Steve Lailoff was one of the judges and he graded me down for not burnishing my leather prior to construction. He said that was the biggest flaw in being a period correct pouch.
I used oak tanned deerhide.

Capt Jas is right - up to a point - there is shene and then there is "shene" - one is the shene of newness and the other is of well cared for use. It really depends on the type and make of leather and one's mental image.
With all due respect to Steve L (a major cratsman and a wonderful gent with whom I have thad the pleasure to discuss our mutual passion) - by type and make I mean: is it a bark tanned leather pouch made by a commercial maker? an Indian made one of brain tan? or a rough pouch cobbled together by a frontiersman out of left overs or his own alum tanned? on each of these the finish is going to be different based on the materials/make, but also on whether the finish one seeks is new or used (example: a brain tan pouch in new condition would have no or very little shene, the same piece aged would pick up a shene due to handling, oil, blood, etc., but used it would also have bare "rub" spots - you'll not on the one pictured above that there are both - the wear/shene/age was all based on pieces with "real" wear and tear.........more complications, but IMO all must be considered when building "period" gear - after looking at several thousand pieces of original leather over the last 40+ years, from medieval to early 20th century, I can only say for me there are no hard and fast general rules - it all depends on what the "base idea" your working from is..........

Latest posts

Back