• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hunting dress?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Personally,
I don't feel the need for period dress at all while I'm hunting.
I dress according to the game I'm persuing and the weather conditions in feild the day of the hunt.
Accuterments and pouches are period, but that's just cause they work well.
But my clothing for the most part would be considered modern.

I do the same...the only time I've ever dressed in period is once while squirrel hunting. I always use my possibles bag, powder horn and a deer antler measure, ...I made them all myself and they work nice for hunting..I use them because they work..not for the sake of being P/C.
During the deer season for shotgun and M'ler It's required to wear blaze orange..so I wear blaze orange camo.

Wool, sometimes plaid, sometimes camo, sometimes solid (red).

When I'm on my own land late season a hunting frock. But first two weeks I wear at least a blaze orange vest.

Early season
HPIM2723.jpg

Later
HPIM2064.jpg

End of season/small game
HPIM2766b.jpg

Swampy said:
Me too, I refuse to wear a dress!

:haha: We can all be thankful for that!

Sometimes I wear modern clothes, sometimes period. Mostly depends on how cold it is.
To meet the blaze orange requirement during deer season when dressed in period attire I have a blaze orange cape and put an orange knit cap over my hat.

We are required to wear 500 square inches of blaze orange during muzzle loading and gun season.
So period dress is out for us here.
Carry all my makings in an old GI web belt ammo pouch. Works good for me.

Early season is carhart pants and T-shirt to light wool jacket depending on the weather. Later as it gets colder I swap out for my thick wool pants and heavy wool jacket....if I ever decide to wear a dress hunting, probably go with a green and black plad wool over the knee type...

This year I plan on hunting in full period clothes. (1780'S) I will have all the stuff for it this year!. In Alabama it's either 144 square inches or a hunters Orange hat. Since I hunt mostly private land I don't have to wear either. But I plan on hunting some WMA'S this year so I will have wear the hat or a vest.

Hunting in colonial rig is an important part of the hobby, for me, because trying to learn what the experience was like for the old fellows is what I'm mainly interested in. So, I hunt in rig probably 60%-70% of the time for all seasons, when hunting on my own turf. If hunting far afield, in another state, I never do, too much hassle. I use the guns, bags, etc., all the time, never hunt modern. If orange is required I slip on a $2 lightweight vest and cap for the actual hunting, even when wearing full colonial rig. I take that off before the camera comes out. Here's a link to a Photobucket file which pretty well shows the wide variety of outfits I've used over the years. Excuse the length and the photos of dead game, the file was made for another purpose. Use the arrows to click through at a quicker pace.
http://s881.photobucket.com/albums/ac20/Spence_2010/iPhoto cache/?albumview=slideshow

Spence

Last edited by a moderator:
Stumpkiller said:
End of season/small game
HPIM2766b.jpg

For some reason that picture just grabs me, I know exactly what its like there, been there, could have the same picture of me (without the pipe, and with a green wool coat). Mid day break, chilly, little fire to warm the hands and make a hot drink. Great picture! :hatsoff:

No orange required for Archery or Muzzleloading
in Utah. I try to dress traditional, just feels right,remember thay had all kinds of weather in the old days too.
Deadeye

Vearl said:
We are required to wear 500 square inches of blaze orange during muzzle loading and gun season.
So period dress is out for us here.
Why?
In MT we are require to wear at least 400 square inches of blaze orange above the waist. I wear period clothing, then wear a mesh blaze orange vest over my hunting shirt. Safe and regulation.

In your last picture you look like you could be my dads twin, about 20 years ago.
Kinda neat and wierd all at the same time. He hunted, smoked a pipe and liked to use BP rifles, so I can easily imagine him in a similar situation.

I wear orange even when on my own property. I have on occasion heard what I'm sure was high powered rifles going off even during the ML season. Safety first.

Interestingly, here if you are hunting deer in the regular deer season you must wear an orange vest, however if you're hunting small game, ALSO during deer season, you only have to wear an orange hat. (See my photo to the left)

Thanky Squirrel Tail and CynthiaLee. Truth is, that's late (M/L) season and most years I have at least one in the freezer before I would take the time, noise, effort and odor to make a mid-day hot lunch fire. But that is the time I enjoy the most in the woods.

I bowhunt for sport, use a m/l during regular season for meat and in the late muzzleloading season I go out and have fun (and see what's what in the woods after the Orange Hoard has passed through and dispersed).

George said:
Here's a link to a Photobucket file which pretty well shows the wide variety of outfits I've used over the years. Excuse the length and the photos of dead game, the file was made for another purpose. Use the arrows to click through at a quicker pace.
http://s881.photobucket.com/albums/ac20/Spence_2010/iPhoto cache/?albumview=slideshow

Spence

Spence - those are fantastic photos of your hunting wear, as well as muzzleloaders and game. Great pic of you too, Stumpy. That puts me in the mood for the Thanksgiving hunt...can't wait!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back