• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hunting "Guns & Gear"

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RussB

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I would suspect many of you are like me, and never seem to have enough gadgetry when you need it most.
And, if you have more than one gun and bag, you always have the wrong bag for that particular gun. It never seems to end. The old saying about beware of the man with one rifle is indeed a good one...he will certainly be more organized.

I have tried to set up a bag, and all accessories for each of my guns. Excluding the .58 cal Colt Musket, and for that one I need a large tool box. My smoothie is a very simple bag with both shot and ball. The others get a bit more elaborate.
I would like to hear how you fellows manage things.

One rifle, the deer rifle, is a .50cal Penn Hunter.
The Elk rifle is a .54 Hawken.
Both rifles were made from Kits, along with the leather goods. Both rifles and all the accessories were "blessed" by an elder of the Mescalero Apache Nation in Ruidoso, New Mexico. A few years back I was blessed with the friendship of a tribal member who was also a muzzleloader of the old school. He believed in such things,(actualy his father and grandfather) and I have never had the heart to change any of it.

HawkennHunter.jpg

The loading block was his work, along with the beads which have their meaning in some way...I'm not sure I understand all this, but I don't want to change it. I do admit to getting some very funny looks at times when I'm hunting,

LoadingBlock.jpg

This is just some of my "Hunting gear". I have several frontloaders, and they each have their own gear.
Russ

I seem to have the same problem. I have a brown bess that i hunt wiht and re-eanct with. But its not a good ting when your out on the field to have some round balls and or shot with you. I did make a cartige box so it help wiht the ammo but I put all my tools, shot and flints all in anohter bag. But i still bring the bag to the re-enactments. So i made a hunting bag for it. And i went out and bought all new suplies and have them all organized in smaller puoches and stuff in the bag. i really suck at organizing but i try.

I followed some good advice from Mark Baker, author of "A Pilgrims Journey"(which I have ordered but not yet received). He seems to really know his stuff when it comes to trekking and how to pack so your both organized and well stocked but not carrying TOO MUCH STUFF. In one of the BUCK SKINNER books, I believe it is volume 6(VI) and listed under HISTORICAL TREKKING, Mark describes how he sets up his shooting bag. He keeps it to a minimum and keeps the different components seperated in smaller leather or buckskin pouches. The different sizes help him identify the bag by touch, allowing him the ability not to have to stick his head inside the bag when searching for patches, round balls, tools, etc.
Using this theroy I have used the different pockets to organize my bag as well. I have placed the most used items up front and the others in descending order as determined by use.
Just some thoughts.... :results:

Back