• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hunting load

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EDP1

32 Cal.
Reaction score
The load that shoots the best in my CVA Frontier is 60 grains of T7 with a patched roundball.Is that enough to hunt with.I will be hunting deer.

My gun is 50 cal. And they say triple 7 is about 10 to 15 grains hotter than pyrodex or blackpowder.

Thats to light in my book. I think you need to look at what kinds of shots your willing to make or not make and at what max range before deciding on a minimum loading.

It will depend on the range you choose to shoot. The t7 is prob equiv to a 70 gr load of ff, which IMO, is quite adequate for deer.

Where you hit them will matter more than how hard. If that`s the load your rifle likes, use it. Just remember your using a muzzleloader, not a centerfire and keep your shots short. Practice often enough so you know where your ball will go, and don`t take "iffy" shots. "Aim small miss small"

If your ranges are below 100 yardes and it gives you the best accuracy it is a good load. Accuracy is the most important thing. I shoot 60 grain prb in a 45 for deer, 65 grain with a mini. :hmm:

Swampy said:
It would help to know the caliber but 60gr is on the light side for any deer caliber gun.

Swampy, that comment is an invitation to open the door on a never ending debate. 60 gr. with a minie in a CW rifle musket or a .600 prb in a smoothie or a .40 cal. slug rifle will knock a helfalump on it's posterior.
Lotsa factors at play besides size of charge.

The load that shoots the best in my CVA Frontier is 60 grains of T7 with a patched roundball.Is that enough to hunt with.I will be hunting deer.

I answered his question which had no mention of any mini. He clearly stated he was using a roundball.

I'm here to tell you that 60 grains of T7, whether 2f or 3f and whether 50 cal or 54 cal is plenty snappy. It's the equivalent of roughly 70 grains of black of the same granulation, and inside 100 yards a RB in either caliber with either powder will spell dead deer in one fine hurry.

My wife prefers 60 grains of 3f Goex from her 24" barreled 54 cal, and the deer really regret her choice. She seldom shoots beyond 50 yards, though the rifle is sighted in dead on at 75 yards. With that sighting it's 1" high at 50 and right at 4" low at 100. She's a very good shot in the first place and a fine hunter in the second. She takes only broadside lung shots, and we've never recovered a ball from any of her deer.

I know a lotta guys use more powder (me included), but firsthand experience sezz it's a matter of preference and has nothing to do with deer blood.

I understand that BB, thats why I said what I did in my second post. The type of shots he plans on taking should have baring here.

In any case, I prefer a little more throttle myself. :v

My wife uses 70g of 2f Goex in her Traditions Deerhunter, and as said before that is about the same as 60g of T7. She has taken many whitetails as far out as 80 yards with no problem.

Swampy said:
I understand that BB, thats why I said what I did in my second post. The type of shots he plans on taking should have baring here.

In any case, I prefer a little more throttle myself. :v

Aw darn. Did it again. I just hit the reply button when I wanted to say something to the original poster, not thinking that it would list it as a "reply to Swampy."

But heck, we agree anyway, right down to the throttle! :rotf:

I've told the story before of making a new powder measure for my wife that was labeled 60 grains, though in fact it measured 80. I was pretty proud of myself after her last deer, but embarrassed when she tipped her hand. She had noticed the extra recoil and noise, and didn't like it. So she went back to using her measure that actually dumped 60 and kept her yap shut.

Danged women anyway. Every time you try to outsmart them, they see you coming. :surrender:

Women are like that ! Yea they are. We cann't live with them and cann't @#$% without them. :hmm:

Inside of 50 yards you should be good. It's light in my book but adequate on small bodied deer. If you're hunting 200+ pound bruisers you should beef it up.
Try working up in 5 grain increments. I bet you'll find another sweet spot up around 90-100 grains. Use a felt wad over the powder to keep from burning up patches.
Lots of variables to play with... Patch thickness, ball size, wad, lube..etc.

HD

Back