• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hunting Protection...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Excellent site for the safety of all here.

Thanks for posting this RoundBall!

I had Lyme's Disease in 1990. Got bit by the wrong tick while turkey hunting near Baraboo Wisconsin.

I missed an entire semester of school as a result. This is a serious danger and I have never felt worse. :barf:

I work in the woods everyday and take exposure to ticks seriously. So far this year, they are proving to be more numerous than usual (MILD Winter). :shocked2:

Thanks again RoundBall for your considerate thread.

Break out the Permethrin and Deet boys! :thumbsup:

Skychief.

Then you know for sure...

This link for best price I've ever seen on bulk bottles of the strong 36.8% Permethrin SFR concentrate.
Mix ratio formula is around 1.5oz / gallon, but to ensure I get it strong I round it up to 2 oz / gallon.

A week before turkey season, I set out a couple pairs of hunting pants, shirts, cap, face mask, vest, boots, and a little chair I use...I soak them down good using a big sprayer and let them air dry.
(I use an aerosol can of 29% Rebel / Deet for exposed skin, not the Permethrin)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1TJQQB8DV54B8CMK1G08

Last edited by a moderator:
Ticks are absolutely terrible around here. You don't have to leave the yard to get them.

Last couple of years I've been using DurationTM Permethrin 10% Concentrate from Amazon. It is intended for use as a soak but I dilute it to .5% and use it as a spray like Sawyers.  Last yr. it was $30 for 8 oz.  Mixed 20 to 1 it will make 168 oz of .5% spray or equal to 7 of the 24 oz bottles of Sawyers. Thats $30 vs $90.

I don't get ticks or chiggers when using this.

The stronger 36.8% Permethrin SFR concentrate seems to be a much better deal, costing $23 / quart (32oz).

Mixed at it's normal ratio of 1.5oz per gallon (128oz) it makes 21 gallons...2,730oz.

I mix mine a stronger at 2oz per gallon, so a quart of concentrate makes 16 gallons of extra strong mix...2,048ozs, for $23.

There's a lot of different brands out there, but I saw on a turkey hunting forum where a guy called up Duration and checked on (some Permethrin is oil based and not good for clothes) Duration brand and they told him DurationTM Permethrin 10% Concentrate was the only EPA registered permethrin 10%concentrate approved for use on clothing.

Don't know if that's the case or what, but I bought it and it works and so far I'm not dead. So, I'm going to use up this bottle anyway and if you ain't dead yet when I do, I might try some of your brand...just kidding with you.

everybody has been posting about spraying themselves down but a question poped into my addled brain, could you ues this stuff sprayed around the yard as a deterent? probably have to reapply after a rain but curious is all, we got ticks bad up here in Pa n have had dozens on me already this year both the big dog ticks n the little deer ticks .Or has anybody got a suggestion for something for around the yard that they have used n like. I've got 4 chihuahuas so I've got to be a bit careful of their exposure to stuff as well,might sound crzy but have been seriously concidering a couple hens n a duck or two to keep the bugs in check
thanks guys YMHS Birdman

Birdman said:
"...could you ues this stuff sprayed around the yard as a deterent?..."
Yes, according to the write-ups, it is used to spray on livestock, and/or foliage/grounds...mix it to the recommended ratio which is all listed in a several page brochure that comes with it.

roundball said:
"...I set out a couple pairs of hunting pants, shirts, cap, face mask, vest, boots, and a little chair I use...I soak them down good using a big sprayer and let them air dry.
(I use an aerosol can of 29% Rebel / Deet for exposed skin, not the Permethrin)

Completed the annual Permethrin prep yesterday...mixed up a gallon in a spray tank and soaked them all good, now letting them dry for a few days...season opens in 11 days here (14th)

Back