• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

hunting seat?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randal Zartman

40 Cal.
Reaction score
If you all are wearing primitive clothing and you don't want to get it all dirty sitting on logs or the ground, what do you take along for when the old legs get tired? I take a 5 gallon bucket but that doesn't go with everything else. Looking for suggestions. Thanks, Z

I thought you were supposed to get dirty. It is period you know.

I remember seeing a display of civil War uniforms, both Union, and Confederate. They all looked to have been worn as the only uniform for the full years, and so stained with Georgia red clay as too make them difficult to tell blue from grey close up.
Woody

I like the getting dirty part - but not the wet butt part, gotta take the good with the bad!

I have been around a little 3-legged folding stool that friend had. Had a fabric seat and it collapsed into somthing easy to carry. It was pretty cool. Try looking on-line at cabelas or Bass-pro?

You could carry a wooden, folding stool, if getting up from the ground is a problem. You could carry a square of oil cloth, or waxed cloth, and a bit of blanket to keep you dry and insulated from the ground, if the ground is no problem, OR you could drape that over a fat log lying on the ground and be OK.

LD

Zman said:
If you all are wearing primitive clothing and you don't want to get it all dirty sitting on logs or the ground, ..
Not sitting on the ground would defeat my original purpose. I want the "authenticity of dirt". I wipe my greasy hands on my clothes, because it's real. :grin:

I've seen some guys who keep their gear so clean, they look like a bad 1950's Western movie where everyone is wearing freshly made clothing from the wardrobe department.

I would suggest a square of waterproof canvas big enough to sit on and an old army blanket. Roll them up into a roll like a bedroll that you can then tie with a piece of rope and drape across your shoulders. When you find the spot that you want, put the canvas on the ground, put the blanket on top for padding and you are good to go. If it is chilly, you can wrap the blanket around yourself to keep warm, dry and clean. Believe me, I do understand the need and desire to keep clean, dry, comfortable and warm when still hunting. As you age, you find these things become more and more important. Those who don't mind being dirty, cold and/or uncomfortable, God bless 'em but I am at an age where these few comforts are important. :thumbsup:

I have a piece of tent canvas, with a piece of natural rope sewn on each end. I have a thin piece of lightweight board sewn in it as well, i tie it tight between two trees and use it as a seat. It is a nice sling seat, and the board give rigidity so as to not pinch your sides. Weighs little and I can stash it away when not needed. Looks old but not hc/pc.

Bought a lil tripod seat,folds up,no weight,easy on my ancient backside :blah:

Blackbruin,
I think in my case this would be funny and dangerous. I like napping while hunting because I am at peace with everything. Would end up getting dirty by the end of my nap. :redface:

I cheat and carry a small square of plastic sheeting. There's a lot of chiggers in my area and avoiding them is a priority. I spray the ground and nearby brush with insect repellent.

It's very difficult for me to sit down on the ground and especially difficult trying to get back up. I have a folding canvas seat with a back. I carry it with me and it's comfortable enough to doze off in.

I use a Dean Torges seat. 12" wide x 14" long of 1/2" plywood. Loop the rope around a tree and tension it so you sit with your hips just above your knees.

treeseat.jpg

HPIM1070.jpg

If you have a boney butt (like mine) add a foam pad for comfort.
HPIM1069.jpg

If you see or hear a deer coming in from a ways off slide off to one side and use the seat as a bench rest for your elbow. I have used this trick for 80 yard shots.

It rides nice under a haversack slung over one shoulder. There is a LOT to be said for sitting quietly against a tree. I took two deer in two mornings while I was in head-to-toe blaze orange seated against against the same tree the first year rifle use was allowed in Tioga County, NY. 10 and 11 yards. Hardly a test of the rifle! I have taken deer with a sightless recurve bow at 14 yards all with no cover between me and the deer. Deer with a muzzleloader at 10 yards.

I would not be without one.

I cheat and hid a beach chair in a tree lap in the woods I regularly hunt... :)

You could make a haversack and when you need to sit, take out what you have in it and sit right on it or stuff it with leaves for a cushion...Or even include a cushion in it...

Now that is what I am looking for Stumpy. Thanks, I have to hurry up and make a couple of those before Dec. I am guessing a strip of rubber or something along the curved edge to keep it from slipping against the tree would help?

I have a small stool made from canvas and has metal framing. I sometimes take that with me if I'm going to be out all day and on the move. I made a sling for it or sometimes I throw it in my backpack. It beats sitting on the ground....

Been cogitating on this one, the other option is to get one of the after market swivel seats that is used with a 5 gallon bucket and make a muslin/burlap/etc bag to carry it in, with shoulder strap(s). The swivel seat is a plus if game comes in from the "wrong" side.

Zman said:
Now that is what I am looking for Stumpy. Thanks, I have to hurry up and make a couple of those before Dec. I am guessing a strip of rubber or something along the curved edge to keep it from slipping against the tree would help?

I use a slit length of high-pressure steam hose - but more to protect the plywood edge and the tree itself than for a non-slip grip. I guess it would depend on the bark of the tree you select.

Latest posts

Back