• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hunting sight-in

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recently ran a ballistic check using the Norma Ballistic Program and my .50 caliber Shenandoah Long Rifle (33½ inch barrel) with a swaged, patched round ball (177 grains with a Ballistic Coefficient of .068) @ 1870 fps (MV) zero'd at 90 yards.. and here are the results the program gave:

25 yards = + .9 inches
50 yards = + 1.5 inches
75 yards = + 1.0 inches
90 yards = ± 0.0 inches
100 yards = - 1.0 inches
115 yards = - 3.1 inches

With a somewhat lower MV (muzzle velocity), the drop on your rifle ball would be SLIGHTLY greater, but not enough to worry about since round rifle balls are terribly inefficient when fired out of a firearm.

Good luck on your quest... :)

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

marmotslayer said:
Me too, that's where I wave bye bye and say they'll be another day.

I field dressed a deer that my wife killed with a texas heart shot. Messy enough to convince me to not take that shot. :shocked2:

That's what I was thinkin'. :barf: :barf: :barf:
In fact she would have been doing the field dressing on that one while I gave helpful tips from well up-wind. My wife doesn't hunt, but I have started a few buddies hunting. I always make a point to tell them I'll help them field dress their first deer UNLESS they gut-shoot it. In that case they're on their own while I will be up-wind.

I have definite thoughts on a Texas heart shot. I'll keep my mouth shut but I don't need meat that bad or his antlers just ain't big enough for me to take that shot.

Lots of good input. Thanks for the ideas. I passed on a nice blacktail this year because all the buck offered me was that (Texas heart-shot). I agree with the fella when he stated horn or body size has no bearing when offered this shot. If you have ever experienced the aftermath. You have full UNDERSTANDING. It's not worth it. An accident you'll go to great lengths to avoid.

You don't want to shoot 'em straight thru from the front either. Wait for a good sideways angle or pass on the shot.

You don't want to shoot 'em straight thru from the front either.

Yup! I observed a shot done straight on. Went in the throat and straight back over the top of the backbone and ruined most of the back straps. It was an average whitetail doe. Lower shot placement would have been better as far as saving meat, I guess.

I sight in all my ML for 100 yds. Shots can be long out west so I know if I can work into 125, I'll have a shot (and I always try to dead rest or at a minimum kneeling position). Most of my shots seem to be between 65 and 120ish, except if I can get the occasional coyote to come in closer. :wink:

The ball that took the top off the heart struck just to one side of the windpipe.
P1020571.jpg

P1020578.jpg

.662 RB

This buck was a below me, I was shooting 15 degrees or so down hill and he was quarter facing me. Missed the neck bone by more than the picture shows (bullet strike is the ruffed spot just in front of the shoulder). Deer went down in his tracks. 54 caliber.
HawkenstyleFlintlockLR.jpg

I will not pass a head on shot so long as the range is good, though the kill zone *is* smaller.
Shoot for the base of the neck if the animal is on the hunters level.
I much prefer a broadside shot but it was not an option in these cases. Both deer had had been walking toward me stopped and were looking at me when I fired.
Dan

Swampy said:
I've never been presented with a texas heart shot. But I know where to aim if I have too,

If I saw the posterior of a 30" plus Mulie buck I would take a shot at the base of the tail. Typical buck I pass on.

Dan

Dan Phariss said:
Swampy said:
I've never been presented with a texas heart shot. But I know where to aim if I have too,

If I saw the posterior of a 30" plus Mulie buck I would take a shot at the base of the tail. Typical buck I pass on.

Dan

Well I'm not a big bad Trophy hunter. The animal means more to me than how many inches his antlers are. :v

Back